PDA

View Full Version : Aztec -- again......

Ric Taylor
03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Quite some time ago (in 2010) David Harvey created a depthmap file of the Aztec calendar to engrave in 3D, and he offered to share it with everyone here via email (because the file is too large to post here).

I've tried several times to contact David without success, both by PM here and via email. He hasn't been on here for awhile.

If anyone received the depthmap from him and is willing to share, I really would appreciate receiving a copy.

Many thanks,

Ric

john banks
03-05-2012, 12:46 PM
There is a decent vector version floating around too so if the bitmaps aren't high enough resolution for a really nice result you might be able to combine the depth map and a high res bitmap prepared from the vector. Would be interesting to see the results regardless, and the file if available.

I don't think we can post hyperlinks to other forums under the terms of service, but hopefully this is allowed if you haven't seen it:

en.jo1jo.com/vb2/showthread.php?p=81503

Edit: still looks like the actual depth map file is elusive.

Same thread here I think:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?153981-Aztec-3D-Depthmap-amp-3D

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2012, 2:13 PM
I've got it, but I'll need your email address: neither PMs nor emails through the forum allow attachments.

vic casware
03-05-2012, 4:30 PM
That is spooky, I spent an hour yesterday looking for
a high res of an aztec calendar and now here we are.
I would LOVE a copy, do I give you my email address here?

Ric Taylor
03-05-2012, 5:46 PM
Many thanks, Lee. I'll send you an email so that you have my contact info.

Regards,

Ric

john banks
03-05-2012, 6:10 PM
Thanks Lee.

I ran it and found a decent result at 200mm/s and 0-90% power representing white to black. Any faster than that in 3d mode and my glass tube responds too slow and the edge details are lost.

Converting it to dither (1bit) and running it in 2d mode was equally good though, and gave the option to speed it up for a lighter engrave but without loss of quality due to faster response time.

Best version of this I've used is a pure black and white vector version which has lots of detail and that looks great rastered. I just can't find the link to it now though.

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2012, 6:44 PM
Best version of this I've used is a pure black and white vector version which has lots of detail and that looks great rastered. I just can't find the link to it now though.Try the one at post #8 of this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?173452-Aztec-Calander-Ad-Infinitum

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2012, 6:50 PM
That is spooky, I spent an hour yesterday looking for
a high res of an aztec calendar and now here we are.
I would LOVE a copy, do I give you my email address here?The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood. I posted a link to a nice vector version a post or two back which works a lot better on granite etc.

But you can either post your email here or email it to me. (The forum 'send email' feature works fine, except it won't do attachments.)

Chuck Stone
03-05-2012, 7:54 PM
The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood.

it worked really well in Corian. So did the bitmap, but side by side the 3D effect won hands down.

vic casware
03-05-2012, 9:14 PM
Thanks Lee,

I have the zip file and the other cdr file too
they are both brilliant.
Now to find the time to try them out
Thanks again!!! :D

Steven Cox
03-05-2012, 9:15 PM
I love the Aztec calendars I think they look realy good and I might even try to engrave one on a round mirror (reversed). What I'd really be interested in though would be some info about them and how to read them. Anyone know???

Kevin Huffman
03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I don't know how to read them but I do have a really awesome vector version of the aztec calendar. It took me about 2 weeks of working on it straight to get it all cleaned up. I can save it in whatever format you need, simply send me a PM with your email address and I will forward you a copy.

Glen Monaghan
03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
How about just posting it here so we can all see?

-Glen

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
How about just posting it here so we can all see?It's too big: ~2.7MB, way over the forum limit.

Arturo Jauregui
10-13-2015, 11:40 AM
The 'depth-map' version they're talking about here may or may not do what you want: it's really intended for a 3D effect in something soft like wood. I posted a link to a nice vector version a post or two back which works a lot better on granite etc.

But you can either post your email here or email it to me. (The forum 'send email' feature works fine, except it won't do attachments.)

Lee good afternoon, I was doing a search in the forums for an aztec calendar and I ran across this message where you posted you had a copy of the 3d version. If you still have that available could you please send it to me at the following email address.

artclaudia213@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance you provide.

v/r

Art Jauregui

John Stevenson
10-15-2015, 7:03 PM
I love the Aztec calendars I think they look realy good and I might even try to engrave one on a round mirror (reversed). What I'd really be interested in though would be some info about them and how to read them. Anyone know???

https://magickalmusings.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/mayan-calen-joke.jpg

Lee DeRaud
10-15-2015, 7:08 PM
https://magickalmusings.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/mayan-calen-joke.jpgRemind me again...what's the difference between "post-apocalyptic" and "anticlimactic"? :D:p

Dan Hintz
10-16-2015, 6:27 AM
Remind me again...what's the difference between "post-apocalyptic" and "anticlimactic"? :D:p

The size of your bible? ;)