PDA

View Full Version : 1/4" Lumber supply in Toronto/GTA/Ontario/Canada

Khalid Nazim
03-05-2012, 9:36 AM
I have been trying to find a source in Canada for the supply of 1/4" resawn/finished lumber, but it seems that there isn't any :( I am sure that there are but I cannot find them. George Perzel has been kind enough to send some pieces from US but it was a painful process for him and expensive for me. I also ordered some 1/4 thick pieces from Ocooch Lumber in US but the cost of shipment and customs clearance made it quite expensive.

I tried to get lumber resawn at the local lumber mills but they would not do it until I ordered a lot of lumber from them. So do you guys know of sources in Canada who definitely supply 1/4" lumber like George or Ocooch? Or should I just arrange a setup myself?

Regards

Joe Hillmann
03-05-2012, 10:07 AM
You could always buy a planner and use it to thin down thicker stock, a lot of waste but if you have no other options it might be worth looking into. If the lumber mills aren't willing to work with you I would suggest trying to find someone with a portable mill, they would be more likely to be willing to work with you, but then you have to wait for the lumber to dry, and would still need a planner to smooth it once it is dry.

George M. Perzel
03-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Khalid;
Suugest you make an investment in a small bandsaw and a small drum sander-bet used ones are available in your area. I suspect you will not be resawing wide boards so a 12" Sears type saw with a skip tooth blade will work fine for stuff under 6"-a bunch available around here for about $100. Drum sander is a bit more expensive but well worth it as planer is not great for thin boards. figure about $200 to $300-Grizzley has a new 10" one for around $400.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Mike Null
03-05-2012, 10:30 AM
Not to take the thread off track but shipping to Canada is terribly expensive. I ship plaques with a value of under $20 and pay about $48 in shipping, duties taxes and brokerage fees.

Must ship via UPS.

Joe Hillmann
03-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Not to take the thread off track but shipping to Canada is terribly expensive. I ship plaques with a value of under $20 and pay about $48 in shipping, duties taxes and brokerage fees.

Must ship via UPS.

I have always been surprised at how cheap it was to ship to Canada, it usually ends up only being about a dollar more then to ship it the same distance in the US(shipping through the Post office)

john passek
03-05-2012, 2:14 PM
I agree with Mike, I have baught a few things over the border and the shipping ,duty and handling fees are more than the items being shipped.
I would buy alot more from JDS and other places but it is just to expensive, no room for profit.

Mark Sipes
03-05-2012, 2:29 PM
JDS is only 265.3 mi, 6 hr 57 min from you..................isn't the import duty on a wholesale item less then a retail item sold to the consumer?

Joe De Medeiros
03-05-2012, 2:45 PM

Must ship via UPS.

UPS is the worst way to ship to Canada, they charge exuberant brokerage fees. If it's small items it's best to ship using US post, or Priority Post.

Tony Lenkic
03-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Khalid try this supplier from Burlington.
You should go to woodworkers forum where you will get better answer.

http://www.exotic-woodsdotcom/category.aspx?s=plywood-vene (http://www.exotic-woods-dot-com/category.aspx?s=plywood-veneer)