PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-05-2012, 9:04 AM
5 Mar 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Today and over this past weekend, my thoughts and prayers have been with all those in Alabama, Tennessee, and Indiana. I was with my parents last year when the horrible weather and tornado activity hit very near their home. Please be aware that each of you are in my prayers.

The weather has been warmer recently and now it's time for getting things ready for the garden. Of course the LOML wants me to make her an entire new set of kitchen utensils out of wood..because she loves how well they work and how quiet and easy on her pans they are. Maybe I'll make several and give them out to family and friends.

Well, that's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
03-05-2012, 9:37 AM
I had a nice long weekend due to working the previous 10 days straight through on an out of town project startup on some critical systems for one of my customers. Thursday I finished welding up and painting the stand for my daughter's midi lathe. Friday I cleaned up the welding mess and installed a DRO unit on my shaper. Saturday we went to Woodcraft to pick up a grinder and I ended up also bringing home a Jet 16-32 drum sander with the aux. tables. Unfortunately I haven't gotten beyond opening the boxes up and checking inside. We then went out to dinner as a family to celebrate our 11th anniversary. Sunday a guy came to pick up my old drum sander and then we ran errands, including picking up a new standby generator we've been looking at getting for a couple years. Freezing rain while I was gone, a nice rebate check from our Costco Amex, and a good deal at Costco made my wife decide that its time.

Jerome Hanby
03-05-2012, 9:57 AM
Shop time was all for cutting replacement plywood for the area under the kitchen sink. Faucet was having issues and leaking water. had evidently also happened in the past and rather than fixing the problem and repairing the damage, someone just rigged it. Discovered a handy tool called a Basin Buddy. Much better than any basin wrench I've ever tried to use. Replacement Moen faucet was much better than the piece of crap American Standard fixture that it replaced. Tried to attend the first Saturday flea market at the fair grounds to look for some old chisels for a finger plane project, but the previous day's bad weather induced them to cancel it and i didn't find out about it until I arrived. Ended up at a different market in Bessemer and I won't be going back there. Basically nothing tool wise, mostly just a bunch of junk people bought to sell at flea markets! Bought the girls some junky stuff and some socks before we gave up and headed home.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Since Friday, I managed to dryfit all the drawers and sliding shelves in the entertainment center I'm building. I then removed all the full extension slides and milled, fitted and attached the base molding.

After a 4 month hiatus due to equilibrium problems that were side effects of my October surgery, it was, indeed, a pleasure to be back in there woodworking.

Late last night I got a couple pen blanks readied. My wife wanted a donation for a silent auction at church. She is fixing a small basket with writing materials, postems, etc and I am turning a couple pens.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2012, 10:23 AM

Well my "fine woodworking" for the weekend consisted of helping my daughter make a cat scratching post for her new kitten.

My daughter was really impressed by the circle cutting jig for the bandsaw, it actually makes round disks of the correct diameter.......LOL.

The post was a sonotube with some holes cut in it and covered in carpet.....I've included a photo of the cat..................Rod.

David Hostetler
03-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Let's see my weekend was a carryover from last weeks evenings. Over the weekend I...

#1. Finished sanding the joints on the drywall patches in the laundry room.
#2. In the process of removing the molding I created a need for more drywall work... Added the newly needed patches, taped, and floated, waiting for that mud to dry now.
#3. Started stripping wallpaper from the kitchen.
#4. Textured the completed sections of laundry room walls.
#5. Cut out the complex miters for the water heater stand trim, and short wall segments. (~2.5" sections). This included making a jig to hold the stock to keep my fingers well clear of the CMS blade...
#6. Installed 3/4 of the trim in the laundry room. Again, waiting for mud to dry...
#7. Went to Clarks hardwoods in Houston to pick up some Pecan stock. I am making thesholds / transitions to cover the joint between the tile and carpet in my house. The puppy stage did them in, and I can't afford to replace the carpet, so I am making thresholds and will be calling Dirt Free Carpet cleaning in when this is done.
#8. Repaired an old drywall patch that didn't hold in the main bathroom ceiling and repainted the ceiling.
#9 Masked the rear wall of the main bathroom, at least the trim. Getting ready to prime, sand prime sand, texture, paint that wall... I need to level a few imperfections out, and don't want it looking too funny...
#10. Removed original trim and tings from ceiling canister lights in both bathrooms, swapped in new "Caffee Patina" trim pieces including redesigned reflectors. Even though they have a fairly dark diffuser, these things REALLY help brighten up the bathrooms. And as a bonus, the light is better aimed, so that the person in the bed in the master suite isn't awoken with a rude glare when the light in the bathroom is turned on...
#11. Helped LOML reorganize the kitchen. All of the stuff that was on top of the fridge, and freezer is now moved to a tote, bubble wrapped, and taken up to the attic. This is mostly large serviceware, that we only use during Christmas, Thanksgiving, or for important family events.
#12. likewise, removed the selection of Adult beverages from the wine rack / bakers rack in the dining room. The afore mentioned adult beverages have been moved to an enclosed cabinet. A pity though. There were some nice brandy decanters in there...

There was a LOT more going on, but as you'd imagine, I am now quite tired, and we are just getting started...

Brian Tymchak
03-05-2012, 2:13 PM
Finally got a start (albeit a small one) on the Miter Saw bench project yesterday. Had a chest cold for last several days that has really dragged me down, so all I could get done was to rework the dust collection on the jointer and tablesaw to make room for the new bench. But its a start...

Actually, while I was in no shape to do anything but sit in front of the TV, I did go thru the entire Malcolm Tibbets DVD collection on segmented woodturning. Getting closer and closer to doing that kind of project, which has been my ultimate woodworking goal all along. The MS bench is actually a step towards that.

James Baker SD
03-05-2012, 3:09 PM
6 months after tearing out a wall of kitchen cabinets to make room for a larger refrigerator, the last replacement was bolted to the wall against the ceiling Saturday night. No doors on them yet (that's to come), but at least we finally can start putting things back and clear the living room floor which has been a "temporary" storage area.

James

Jim Becker
03-05-2012, 8:49 PM
No shop time this weekend...the normal equestrian pursuits and the rest of the weekend was spent working on work-work and some other things.

frank shic
03-05-2012, 9:40 PM
got my raised panel doors and drawer fronts sanded on the drum sander and then cleaned them up with the ROS. raised some more panels to make the double raised end panels for my future master bathroom vanity. i get to run the two beasts through the sander tonight woohoo!

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Spent Saturday running the neighborhood clean-up day. Spent coordinating volunteers, dumpsters, E-Waste, and shredding service for our neighborhood. Treated ourselves to sushi afterwards. Sunday spent with LOML at a rock/jewelry show. Not really my cup of tea, but she appreciates it. Afterwards made dinner for my son and his girlfriend. All in all, successful, but I'd rather prepped stock.