PDA

View Full Version : How long should a rasp last me?

James Taglienti
03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
A few months ago I came into a bunch of fine rasps, theyre a #5 cut. I want to unload some but first I want to make sure I am set for life :D ... I know there are like a hundred different factors so if you have used rasps a lot, have you worn one out yet? How long did it take? Also has anyone had any experience with the chemical sharpening where you
dip them in acid? Ive got a few that look like they were bouncing off of each other for a couple decades

Brian Kent
03-04-2012, 11:03 PM
I'll jump in with a question, not an answer. Does it say anywhere whether they were made in USA, Mexico, China, Europe…?

James Taglienti
03-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Theyre German, about 50 years old, by F. Dick... Theyre good steel, these guys are still around and make some pricey fies and rasps

Brian Kent
03-04-2012, 11:26 PM
Looks like you have some real treasures on your hands. I will watch to see what people who know have to say.

george wilson
03-04-2012, 11:31 PM
It depends upon what you are rasping. Some woods are much more abrasive than others due to hardness,embedded silica that the tree sucked up,etc. Plus,how often you use them.

Some mahogany can have mineral deposits in it. Ebony is hard on tools' edges. Describe what you are going to cut,and how often.

A rasp is one of those tools you might could sharpen by careful sand blasting from the HANDLE end. Some advocate it for files,which might be o.k. for coarse files,I don't know,but I think a rasp is a good candidate IF it is done right.

Files can have the teeth made too brittle by acid etching from hydrogen embrittlement,I have heard. Non chemical sharpening here could be better. Check it out on the net.

Brian Kent
03-04-2012, 11:41 PM
That's the voice I was waiting to hear. Thanks George.

Neal Draper
03-05-2012, 12:09 AM
You could always send them to Boggs to get sharpened.

http://www.boggstool.com/page5.html

Neal

mike holden
03-05-2012, 8:48 AM
James,
I am still using one, a nicholson 49, that I got out of the company tool crib thirty-five years ago. For all but the last five years, I cleaned it with a file card, a no-no according to Ariou rasps (which I also have a selection of). Lots of pattern work and cabriole legs have been shaped by that rasp. I dont think you will run out of life in a rasp unless you mistreat it.
Mike

Prashun Patel
03-05-2012, 10:11 AM
James, personally, I have less use for fine rasps; I prefer the coarser ones for shaping, and then using conventional methods (shaves and sandpaper) for smoothing.

Rasps do get dull. Look into Boggs sharpening. They do it pretty cheaply (all things considered). Especially if you're doing a bunch, you'll save on the shipping. I had 2 rasps sharpened by him, and I can testify that they perform as good or BETTER than brand new.

Harry Hagan
03-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Until you lose it.

James Taglienti
03-05-2012, 8:47 PM
Thanks guys... I think I will keep 3 of each size. I am going to go out to the shop right now and sandblast a crummy one. Ill post the results later

James Taglienti
03-05-2012, 9:28 PM
I have a little 120 psi sandblaster and i blasted the worst one with black diamond. Not much happened... But it did get really clean. So i blasted a semi dull one and it did get sharper. Maybe once the teeth are burnished theres no turning back. I have very little experience with sandblasting, i mainly use this one to de rust things.

Prashun Patel
03-06-2012, 8:41 AM
You can try soaking the rasp in citric acid. That is one method for sharpening.

Depending on time and length of soak, though, there's a risk that you'll develop black oxide which might require a little blasting to clean.