PDA

View Full Version : Tool Carousel

Tom Simensen
03-04-2012, 8:49 PM
Just finished this revolving tool carousel that will hopefully save me a lot of steps back and forth to the tool cabinet mounted on the wall. When finished, it should hold all my favorite hand tools in the foot print of a 24" diameter. So far it is working out very well, it keeps my most used tools within arms reach. Hope to keep adding to it till I get them all on.

Peter Hawser
03-04-2012, 9:31 PM
I think that's smart. Do you make violins?

Bruce Page
03-04-2012, 9:39 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention! Very nice!

Tom Simensen
03-04-2012, 9:44 PM
I do. It has been my hobby for the last 17 years. Not very high volume, but I have made about 15 violins, 2 Violas, and 1 cello. Hope to make a bass and a mandolin before the final curtain.

george wilson
03-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I made "Christmas trees" to hold hundreds of chasing tools and needle files. They revolve,too. Not the prettiest thing I ever did,but I can organize several different sets of needle files on 1 and a large collection of chasing tools on the other. Without them,I'd never find anything,because I am a TOOL PIG!!

Yours looks nicer than mine.

Jim Koepke
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Does the jointer require another on the other side for balance?

What did you use for a bearing?

Looks good, but it looks to take up a lot of room on the bench.

jtk

Matthew N. Masail
03-05-2012, 1:02 PM
Nice Idea !

Tom Simensen
03-06-2012, 9:52 PM
Jim,
There is a 12" turntable with ball bearings mounted on an 18" diameter 3/8" steel plate for a base. It turns very smooth and does not seem to require balancing of any kind. It does take up a little bench space, but most of my projects are quite small, so it is super handy to just grab whatever tool I need in arms reach. What is even better, is that I actually find my self putting tools back right away.

Jim Koepke
03-07-2012, 12:46 AM
What is even better, is that I actually find my self putting tools back right away.

Oh if only that were one of my habits.

Just one of the reasons my bench will likely have a tool tray.

jtk

Don Jarvie
03-07-2012, 1:10 PM
A friend has a friend that makes violins, cellos, etc and he had a concert at his house where the players all played his instruments. It seems like it would be pretty cool.