PDA

View Full Version : Another use for the laser...

Doug Griffith
03-04-2012, 7:56 PM
...creating dummy electrical enclosures before committing to metal. This enclosure was built from thin MDF to help the electrical engineer work out wiring details. If there are any changes, we'd rather not find out AFTER our minimum run of pre-production metal enclosures are built.

Built from .118" MDF from Home Depot.

Steven Cox
03-04-2012, 8:26 PM
Hey doug, you could probably cut that with 600 to 800 GSM Artboard (white thick ridgid cardboard) from an Art Supply or Stationery Shop for half the price and quicker too!.
I use Artboard all the time to make templates. An added advantage is that you can write on art board with a pen easily. Just a thought.

Doug Griffith
03-04-2012, 8:37 PM
Hey doug, you could probably cut that with 600 to 800 GSM Artboard (white thick ridgid cardboard) from an Art Supply or Stationery Shop for half the price and quicker too!.
I use Artboard all the time to make templates. An added advantage is that you can write on art board with a pen easily. Just a thought.

Not a bad idea. There is one thing about this enclosure though. Once it's loaded with 12 duplex sockets, 12 relays, a breaker bus with breakers, controller, transformers, etc... it gets quite heavy. I'm concerned that it may not be strong enough as it is. I might have to reenforce the glue joints.

Bruce Boone
03-04-2012, 9:08 PM
Nicely done!

Dan Hintz
03-05-2012, 6:56 AM
Once it's loaded with 12 duplex sockets, 12 relays, a breaker bus with breakers, controller, transformers, etc... it gets quite heavy. I'm concerned that it may not be strong enough as it is. I might have to reenforce the glue joints.
That was my thinking... I'd probably leave it wood.