PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace the cord on my Dewalt Drill (DW235G)????

Roger Feeley
03-04-2012, 6:39 PM
I love my wife.

She wanted to scrape some paint on a couple of Adirondack chairs I found in someones trash. I set her up with the aforementioned drill and one of those stripper things that fling the steel rods around. 5 minutes later, I hear, "I'm sorry..." and she showed up with the cord in two pieces. Apparently, that thing went right through the cord. At least she wasn't hurt.

The only drill I ever replaced the cord on was a very old Skil and that was kind of a hassle. It involved soldering and I had to be VERY careful to assemble it right. It had all sorts of springs and gizmos that didn't want to go back quite right.

I really don't want to splice it. The part is $25 and there would be some sort of shop charge at my local repair place. I'm wondering if the guts of this thing are simple enough that I can get in there and do the replacement myself.

thanks,
Roger

Bill Bukovec
03-04-2012, 6:43 PM
How long is the piece of the cord that's attached to the drill?

Can you add a new plug to the end of the cord?

John McClanahan
03-04-2012, 7:14 PM
I bought a well used DeWalt worm drive saw at an auction cheap because the cord was bad. I just cut the cord close to the handle and added the new plug there. I just use an extension cord with the saw. When storing the saw, I don't have the cord to deal with.

Ryan Baker
03-04-2012, 8:01 PM
Dewalt cords are usually pretty easy to change.

Be sure to check the parts diagram (you can get it here http://servicenet.dewalt.com/ if you don't have it) whether you need any connection terminal pins. A lot of Dewalt corded tools use the same cord part, which comes with bare wires. The tool may require a particular style of crimp connector to hook it up. Missing those results in a lot of wasted time and extra shipping charges. A quick look at the diagram for your model looks like yours does need some of these terminals. Check the specific diagram for your model/type to find the right part number.

Roger Feeley
03-04-2012, 9:58 PM
Hmmm... Good idea. I sure don't have anything to lose if it try it. There's about a foot of cord.

Thanks to all.