PDA

View Full Version : The biggest bowl I have ever made

Brian Brown
03-04-2012, 6:25 PM
OK, so it's not really that big compared to what some of you make. The diameter is about 11.75". A couple of years ago, the wife and I traveled to Lewiston, Idaho and met Ken Fitzgerald. While we were there, he invited Joel Sauder over. Joel brought me a 12.5" walnut blank, about 5.5" deep. At the time, my lathe couldn't handle anything that big, and I couldn't bring myself to cut it into smaller pieces, so it got put on a shelf waiting for the day a mustard monster would grace my shop. A couple of weeks ago, I was looking for something in the garage, and stumbled on Joel's blank. Hmmmm... I wonder if that will fit my new lathe. Sure enough, it fit the 46-460, and was soon reduced to a bowl. I don't have a coring system so I almost cried over the wasted wood in the center, when I saw the spalting and figure.

I was originally going to make an ogee shape, but was afraid I might remove most of the figure, and this was the only other obvious form. I didn't even do any rim embellishment because I didn't want to take away from the figure. The foot is too tall for me, and I need to remount it because the outside got badly scratched somehow. while it is on the lathe, I will shorten the foot. It has two coats of tung oil right now. C & C welcome.

Nate Davey
03-04-2012, 6:43 PM
Beautiful bowl Brian. The grain is awesome. Nice job on maintaining your curve, not an easy thing to do.

Ted Calver
03-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Brian,
You did justice to a really nice piece of wood, Good job.

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2012, 10:41 PM
Beautiful bowl Brian. Really nice wood grain and love the simple form.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Brian....the simple form allows the wood to be the star of the show. Nicely done!

I have two pieces of that sitting in the shop. I must get to it!

Jeff Fagen
03-05-2012, 12:02 AM
That is very pretty wood and a nice shape.
I know how you feel wasting good figure like that .
I have a capacity size bowl of spalted maple on my 46-460 now.

Michelle Rich
03-05-2012, 6:20 AM
very pretty wood..well turned & finished

John Keeton
03-05-2012, 7:02 AM
Brian, that is a beautiful piece of walnut! Ken, you need to turn the other two, for sure. Nice work on this one.

Rob Price
03-05-2012, 7:27 AM
looks great, can you post pics of the inside? There's peek at some of that figure on the last pic.

Jim Burr
03-05-2012, 8:30 AM
That will take up most of your kitchen table Brian!! Just what a bowl should be...able to hold lots of M&M's!

David E Keller
03-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Great looking bowl, Brian! I agree with you on the foot, but the rest of the piece is fantastic!

James Roberts
03-05-2012, 7:02 PM
Exceptionally nice, Brian. You've done the wood proud.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2012, 2:21 PM
Brian - you did a really nice job on this bowl! Classic form and that wood is amazing!! Nice work!