PDA

View Full Version : Octo-burl

Mike Cruz
03-04-2012, 5:53 PM
The DAMP crew and I were scouring my neighbor's property when we stumbled upon Octo-burl (looks kinda like an octopus...). Too bad that it was hollow. Ended up with a bunch of pen blanks. :o

Dan Hintz
03-04-2012, 7:25 PM
Wow... I'm way in the background...

charlie knighton
03-04-2012, 7:37 PM
nice, did it grow after tree was down you figure,
Wow... I'm way in the background.. were you late or looking for something, Dan

Dan Hintz
03-04-2012, 7:40 PM
were you late or looking for something, Dan
It was prime burl country out there, and I also wanted to see what type of trees were already felled.

Mike Cruz
03-04-2012, 9:43 PM
Charlie, the tree had apparently fallen over, hence the roots sticking up out of the ground. Then it kept growing... If you look at the first pic, you can see the trunk that I had cut off of it...it had been growing at a 90* angle to the ground. I suppose I should have taken a pic before I cut the trunk off. There were a few more burls on other small trees next to this one, but I didn't want to cut any healthy live trees down for their burl. BTW, this one's days were numbered...between growing horizontally to the trunk and burl being hollow, it was just a matter of time before it died anyway. I just wish I had found it a few years ago...

David E Keller
03-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Too bad it was hollow… It would have been nice to hollow it once you got it back to the shop!

Dan Hintz
03-05-2012, 6:51 AM
It still resulted in some nice pen blanks...

Mike Cruz
03-05-2012, 7:28 AM
David, when I saw it was hollow, I immediatley thought of you! I thought it would have been a great burl for you to tackly. HOWEVER, it was anything BUT a clean hollow... There was a LOT of punky wet soil junk inside. You would have hated it. On the plus side, there weren't any ants in it... :D

Dan Carroll
03-05-2012, 8:57 AM
You'all are having way too much fun. Too bad it was hollow, but it should be good for something...