PDA

View Full Version : Oliver 4620 bandsaw

Jaromir Svoboda
03-04-2012, 3:34 PM
I like to buy a new bandsaw soon and saw Oliver 4620 14" bandsaw.
Does anybody have one?It looks heavy duty.
Thank you.

Carroll Courtney
03-04-2012, 4:43 PM
Don't know anything about that model,but Oliver has a good reputation as being one of the best and anything made by them is HD providing that its one of the older models that was made here in the states.Post some pics love to see it----Carroll
Between SMC and OWWM a person can't go wrong w/Oliver

David Kumm
03-04-2012, 4:49 PM
the 4640 is made in Asia. the Oliver name was bought by the Sunhill guy some years ago. I've no personal experience but the reputation is that it is good Asian stuff. If you have the budget you whould check out the Felder 540 on Woodweb at $1800. Saw is an ACM and the heavier model. Worth several times the Oliver for a few hundred more. Dave You would need a vfd as it is three phase but just an example.

Jaromir Svoboda
03-04-2012, 6:10 PM
Its on E bay new for $ 1,320

David Kumm
03-04-2012, 6:45 PM
Its on E bay new for $ 1,320

That is for the Oliver. The Felder i spoke of is well over $3K new. A 20" saw will handle anything a 14" will and be a decent resaw machine. Not trying to reinvent your wheel, just a fan of higher quality used. Dave

Van Huskey
03-04-2012, 10:31 PM
This is indeed a "new" Oliver machine built in Asia (I think Tiawan on the BS but not sure). From looking at the machines, using a couple and talking to them at IWF they have positioned themselves market wise above the entry level machines like much of the Grizzly line and trying to compete with the med/heavy commercial and light industrial offerings of companies like Extrema and seeming aquit themselves well. I like the machines in particular their 12/16" jointers. That all said the 4620 is a solid Asian 14" saw BUT at that price point the Laguna LT14SUV is the dominate saw, twice the HP, more resaw, better guides etc. I wouldn't NOT buy a new Oliver machine but in this case their is better out there for the price, if you look in the used realm around that price and a little more there are a lot better saws available but this is always true of any woodworking machine.