PDA

View Full Version : Cracks in pens

Thomas Wyatt
03-23-2005, 1:44 PM
First not sure which forum is preferred for questions of this nature. If someone could let me know for future referrence.

I have made a few Cigar style pens. I have gotten a crack forming usually at the bottom of the pen.(only made 3 so far but 2 of them have cracked) I am not sure what process this is happening at. With the slimlines I have made only a couple showed up with a cracks and I believe it was due to me sanding too hard or too much pressure/heat with polishing.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might help.

Thanks

Jeff Sudmeier
03-23-2005, 3:35 PM
When I have had cracks in pens, I have attributed it to having something inside the tube, before the insersion of the pen parts. What I have done to prevent this is to drill out the tubes before I asemble the pens. I haven't done a cigar yet, so I don't know how this changes things.

Blake McCully
03-23-2005, 6:50 PM
Thomas,
What kind of wood did you use. I've made a number of pens, various styles, from ebony and they've all split.

I've split some pens when I assembled them. Of course, I use a 1 ton arbor press, hmm... heavy handed :D

Tom Stover
03-23-2005, 7:39 PM
When assembling the pens you have to start the parts straight. If they're at an angle you might distort the tube and crack the wood.

Thomas Wyatt
03-23-2005, 7:50 PM
The slimline that split was osage orange. The cigars one was purple heart the other was cabbage wood.

I'm not sure if I am using too much pressure when sanding or doing the finish or if there is other reasons. I will look into making sure the blanks are clean before putting the pens together. I use a pen press purchased form Woodcrafters. I use a light touch and try to make sure the parts are straight.

Gary Max
03-23-2005, 8:32 PM
When you apply to much pressure it heats the wood up ---causeing it to crack.
The Osage and Purple heart are not oily woods like Ebony so that's not the trouble.
Are the blanks dry---when you turn them-- creates heat--drys wood to fast they crack.
Try leaving the wood thicker at the ends of the blanks and at the center. Just taper the ends to the bushings. Sand at a lower RPM and be a little lite handed.
There are many reasons wood cracks--- I hope this helps.

RL Johnson
03-23-2005, 9:59 PM
Thomas make sure that you square the blanks off with a pen mill and do not have any excess material past the end of the tubes. It has already been mention but make sure you have no glue in the tubes. You would be surprised at how much just a very little glue can cause the tube to expand when you press your kit parts in and then subquently break you thin wood.

Thomas Wyatt
03-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Ok thanks all, will try these suggestions with next cigar style pen. Turned a couple slimlines tonight. One to donate one for a friend. Took my time with the sanding. letting them cool off between grits. Will check for glue before assembling them in the morning.