PDA

View Full Version : ATL Woodworkers

Lee Koepke
03-04-2012, 9:55 AM
Are any of you ATL area woodworkers attending the Wood working show this coming weekend in Norcross???

they have a demonstration for using dyes on your turnings that looks interesting to me, as well as a spindle demo for Christmas ornaments and such.

Just curious if anyone else will be over there on Saturday.

Tim Rinehart
03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
I got a flyer for the show and it looks like it will offer a lot for those vortex oriented folks! Won't make it, unfortunately..well, perhaps fortunate for my wallet!

Steve Kennedy
03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm going either Friday or Saturday. Kind of depends when my turning Buddy can get free. If you're going, check out the link below. They have show coupons and some freebies.
My wife is out of town so this could be dangerous!!

http://www.ptreeusa.com/show_admails/atlanta/atlanta_2012_landing_page.htm

Lee Koepke
03-04-2012, 12:16 PM
It's our anniversary weekend, so get this... Wife will drop me off for a few hours, then come get me later for dinner... I am a lucky guy.

Mike Peace
03-04-2012, 1:06 PM
I have attended the past 4 or 5 and I plan on going again this year. The seminars on color look interesting. Ron Brown has been doing turning demos for Woodline for several years and is fun to watch. Gwinnett Woodworkers usually has a lathe going in their booth. The last two years Jack Morse had his custom Big Bertha lathe with huge turnings going.

A big disappointment is that there will be no AAW booth with a lathe demo and show and tell as there has been in past years. Basically the show promoter and the local volunteer who recruited volunteers and organized the AAW space that provided info on turning chapters in Georgia had some major communications issues on what was needed in the way of electrical requirements and what would be provided at no cost. There appeared to be some blame on both sides but when the dust cleared, I believe the idea of a volunteer staffed AAW booth was dead. Ron Brown made a last ditch effort to solve the problem but I think it was too late. A win - Win situation became a Lose - Lose. Too bad, since I enjoyed working the booth and talking to turners and turner wannabees at the booth for the last couple of years. I will probably hang out some at the Gwinnett Woodworkers ( AAW chapter 192) booth since I am a member there.

Jim Underwood
03-04-2012, 9:05 PM
So I got the postcard this year that was titled The Big Ten, Atlanta Ga, Turning Extravaganza...

What was that all about?

Donny Lawson
03-05-2012, 6:36 AM
It's our anniversary weekend, so get this... Wife will drop me off for a few hours, then come get me later for dinner... I am a lucky guy.

Lee, let us know how it went.

Russell Eaton
03-05-2012, 7:42 AM
Lee I am going to try to go Friday afternoon. I am working not far from there and will stop in on the way home. I am going to be a Rockler on Saturday doing some demos for them on bowl turning and pen turning, drop by if you have the chance.

Bill Bulloch
03-05-2012, 8:27 AM
I was scheduled to docent on Saturday morning, but like Mike said, that fell through. I am still going, but am not sure if it will be Friday or Saturday -- been saving up my money in anticipation.

Mike Peace
03-07-2012, 6:23 PM
Looks like representatives from two of the Atlanta metro area clubs got together, picked up the pieces and were able to work with the show owner to secure a booth. So there will be at least one woodturning booth with a lathe and demonstrators. It was a case of "the kind of thinking that gets you into trouble is not the same kind of thinking that will get you out of it."

Lee Koepke
03-07-2012, 8:47 PM
thats good to hear!
I will stop by on Saturday, maybe we'll cross paths.

Mike Peace
03-10-2012, 6:31 PM
The turners had a booth after all. I talked to a lot of folks who came by Saturday morning including two creekers, Tony Greenway and Lee Koepke. Show seemed a little smaller than past years. I did not see any tool there that I just had to have. Woodline carrys a nice bowl steady rest in different sizes. Always nice to see old friends and make new ones at the show.

Steve Kennedy
03-11-2012, 10:33 AM
I talked to you too, Mike:)

Jim Underwood
03-11-2012, 1:05 PM
I was there in the Craft Supplies booth helping people turn pens. We were so busy, we didn't get to all the folks signed up, and I almost didn't get lunch. Even then didn't get to eat a snack til 2:00...

Saw Mike as he passed by.... but never got to any other booth except to borrow a hammer from the tool liquidators... I oughta drive up there today and check it out...