PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Those Little Things.....

Joey Chavez
03-03-2012, 9:36 PM
Lee Valley and Veritas - Superior quality hand tools...check, excellent customer service...check, an owner that mingles in forums willing to answer the questions we have...check...seems to know what I'm thinking before I do...check. I have the LA Jack, LA BU Jointer, and the BU Smoother along with some of the addtional blades, same is true for the LA Block. I don't really like storing the blades in the plastic sleeves and boxes but I figured that's a solution I can find some other day. Last week my skew block and router plane arrived. When opening the package there was a little plastic case, I assumed it was something for the router plane, no. Inside there was a little note (I wished I would have saved it to pass it to you accurately) indicating these would ship with plane blades in the future and cases would be available for purchase in late April. Includes a chip to help prevent rust! What a nice little suprise, problem solved. I don't know if Lie Nielsen already does this since I haven't bought anything from them yet. I'm still new at this hand tool thing, but woodworking has been so much more pleasurable using them....... and purchasing them has been a more pleasurable experience too....Thanks Lee Valley, those little things you do!!

Bill Houghton
03-03-2012, 9:44 PM
Hey, that's cool! Always thinking, those Lee Valley engineers.

Leigh Betsch
03-03-2012, 9:48 PM
Yeah I'm a Lee Valley fan too. I was hoping to buy some Lie Nielson stuff some day, but Rob's personal attention here has put me square in the Lee Valley camp. Course I still make most of my own hand tools anyway!

jeff . whitaker
03-03-2012, 11:01 PM
That kind of service is why LV is getting more and more of my hobby money....
found the case in my BU smother I got a couple of weeks ago... felt like a kid who found the prize at the bottom of the cereal box
next week I hope to be able to get another order off to them!
Jeff

Jim Neeley
03-04-2012, 2:35 AM
This is great news.. cases with vapor emitter foam is a bit of a "duh" moment for those of us with a few extra blades. I've been considering options for storing my spare LV blades.. now I'lll wait for next month!! <big grin>

Curt Putnam
03-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Just bought the LA block with toothed & 38° blades and a toothed blade for the BU bench planes. All came with the plastic cases. They will go a long way towards solving the blade storage problem.

Now we need cases for storing cabinet & card scrapers (hint, hint :))

Tony Shea
03-04-2012, 4:09 PM
A very nice touch from LV again. I also will need to grab a couple of these for my blades. IMO, the hardest blades to store are the Small plow plane blades. I really wish they would come up with a practical storage solution to these blades as well. I've made a make shift storage box for them but it is still a bit more bulky than I'd like it to be. Keep up the good work LV.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I've got a cheap Mujingfang plow, but I keep the blades for the that in a small canvas tool roll I made. Shouldn't be difficult to sew something up for the LV blades, either.