PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Collets

John Myer
03-03-2012, 6:16 PM
Over the last couple of weeks I have heard complaints about poor quality Porter Cable collets. Apparently there is a large amount of run-out. In other words - they do not perfectly center a router bit in the center of the motor. There is also a company that sells high-quality replacement collets. (precisebits.com) Has members experienced noticeable imprecise cuts due to this problems and has any members replaced collects with those sold by Precise Bits?

Mike Cutler
03-03-2012, 7:22 PM
Over the last couple of weeks I have heard complaints about poor quality Porter Cable collets. Apparently there is a large amount of run-out. In other words - they do not perfectly center a router bit in the center of the motor. There is also a company that sells high-quality replacement collets. (precisebits.com) Has members experienced noticeable imprecise cuts due to this problems and has any members replaced collects with those sold by Precise Bits?

I have two 8529's, and a 690, and have no perceptible amount of run out.
I know on long dados they're statistically exact as measured with a vernier. If it's there, you'd never notice it when using it.

Ray Newman
03-03-2012, 8:02 PM
Before spending US $70.00 + on new collets and wrenches, might it be advisable to check the run out on the motor bearing(s) for any problem(s)??….

Stephen Cherry
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
I've got 1/4 and 1/8 precisebits collets for my porter cable routers. I mainly bought it to use with 1/8 and 1/16 inch strait cutters, also sold by precisebits. My impression is that a good collet is what allows these small bits to survive, particularly the 1/16. Another advantage with this setup is that it allows the use of 1/8 inch shank for these size bits- they are significantly cheaper than 1/4 inch, about half price. In the picture is the small pattern cutter- 1/16, along with a 4" byrd cutter, at the opposite end of the pattern cutter scale, as well as a pattern for a little bracket, and a bracket as cut with the 1/16 bit, and a bracket on a prototype table with a little shelac with dye.

Oh, yea- precisebits also includes collet cleaner with the collets- it's surprising how much goo you can clean from your router motor. Do you need these? That is hard to say. I would say that if you are breaking bits, it is definitley worth a try, or if you are not happy with the finish you are getting.

Dan Barber1
03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had a problem with runout with the 690 router. It seems in my case to be the result of two things. Using a dull or worn out bit and cutting too deeply. I was taking a 3/8 inch depth cut when my problems happened. A new bit and a little less depth has, at least for now, eliminated the problem.

Jeff Duncan
03-05-2012, 10:26 AM
I agree with the idea that "if it ain't broke...."

Are you having problems due to excessive runout now? I can honestly say I've never checked the runout of my routers, my shapers....sure, they're all pretty tight, just not my routers. I have 6 or so of the 690's and they're a real workhorse in my shop. But I can't think of anything I do with them that requires ultra high precision. Probably the one thing where accuracy would be most important is on my dovetail jig....but I haven't seen any problems.

If your having problems then it's certainly worth checking, and if you find it's out then probably worth replacing, I just can't see spending money on a problem if it's not a problem though.

good luck,
JeffD