PDA

View Full Version : Couple of days with David Marks

Jim Barrett
03-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I recently returned from spending a couple of days with David Marks at his studio in Santa Rosa, CA. I had attended a workshop with 7 other woodworkers last July in David's studio and was so impressed that I signed up for a 1 on 1 weekend. David is very open to whatever you want to do, turning, flatwork, marquetry, etc...for me I wanted to run through doing some dovetails. I have done dovetails before with so-so results.
We selected wood from David's huge stockpile, a couple of pieces of contrasting wood, curly maple and walnut. We discussed design details and proceeded with sizing the pieces. Using the table saw, jointer, planer and drum sander. His jointer has a 2 blade cutterhead so I needed to really slow down my rate of feed to get a good cut on the curly maple. David back bevels all of his jointer and planer knives. He sends his knives out to Forrest tools in New Jersey for sharpening. We were getting some tear out in the curly maple while running it through his planer so we wet the wood which produced very good results.
We laid out the dovetails and proceeded to do the initial cuts on David's bandsaw. David likes using his bandsaw for dovetails which he has demonstrated on his Woodworks show before. He has 4 bandsaw's in his shop, Delta 14", 20", MM20 and MM36. We used his Delta 20" for the dovetails.
Once the pins were cut I got to try out my new LN chisels. Wow!!! We discussed sharpening techniques and proceded to sharpen my chisels using waterstones. The results were excellent. David was impressed with the lie-nielsen's. He typically uses japaneese chisels. Next we used the pins to lay out the tails and then proceeded to cut out and fit the dovetails. The results were excellent!
If anyone is thinking about spending some time with David in his studio all I can say is go for it!! He makes you feel very comfortable. I had a great time learning some new techniques, swapping stories and laughing!
Couple of pics:
1)Dovetail results
2)Setting up the bandsaw
3)Redwood sphere David is working on for an upcoming exhibition, this sphere weighed almost 400lbs at one time. David hollowed it out on his huge Oneway lathe then boiled it in water and gave it an alcohol bath to bring the moisture down to an acceptable level for finishing. I am sure it is going to be an awsome sculpture when he is finished!
Jim

David Wilson
03-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Jim
Sounds like a good time and a great learning experiance. I would love to attend one of DM's seminars some day.

Jim Becker
03-23-2005, 11:36 AM
Looks like you had a great time, Jim, and those dovetails look wonderful!!

Of course, you also get your free bonus avitar since you had such a great pic to make it from...

Jim Barrett
03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey Jim,

Thanks for the pic....David mentioned he met you...thought you were an OK guy! ;)
Jim

Jeff Sudmeier
03-23-2005, 1:05 PM
Jim,

Congrats on your time. I would love to spend some time with David. It sure would be a great experience! Great work on the dovetails!

John Miliunas
03-23-2005, 1:33 PM
Ahhhh....'scuze me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard.:eek:

OK, now that the keys aren't sticky anymore, congrats!!! I'm still green with envy, but this is an extremely well-deserved gload, Jim! :) I'd love to be able to have an opportunity like that. Looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time and have some great results to show for it! You DO realize your next project post will *have* to include some of those wonderful dovetails, right?!:) :cool:

greg kurtock
03-23-2005, 1:51 PM
Wow!

I can only imagine it's not cheap to buy DM's time one-on-one like that (I'm not asking). What a fantastic opportunity!

Is the sphere going to be in an upcoming episode?

Greg

John Weber
03-23-2005, 2:12 PM
Wow! Very cool.

John

Bill Lewis
03-23-2005, 2:32 PM
Looks like we need a whole new group just for the pictures of everyone holding up David Marks' redwood sphere. :eek:

Dick Parr
03-23-2005, 2:42 PM
Jim those are great looking dovetails. Looks like you had a great time and being with David for 2 days, I would say your woodworking skills had to have gone up a few notch's. :cool:

I am glad to here he tried out the alcohol bath. We talked about it when he was here and I ran him a copy of Dave Smiths article to take with him.

That man is a pleasure to be around, even when not talking about wood. :D

Silas Smith
03-23-2005, 3:02 PM
I have never actually seen a bandsaw that big (refering to the redwood sphere picture). That is unless you are really 4 feet tall. WoW!

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 3:13 PM
That had to be great getting tips from a pro like that. I have just started watching his show.

Corey

Jim Becker
03-23-2005, 4:30 PM
....David mentioned he met you...thought you were an OK guy! That would mean he has a totally amazing sense of recall since we only spoke for about three minutes last August in Orlando! Of the two of us, he is obviously the easier to remember...

I have never actually seen a bandsaw that big (refering to the redwood sphere picture).
36" Mini Max is a monster...VERY big machine!

Jim Hinze
03-23-2005, 4:34 PM
Looks like you had an AWESOME time! I want to go back for more lessons... dove tails sound cool :D

How dry was the sphere when you were there??? Some areas were down to 14% and some off the charts when I was there...

Mark Singer
03-23-2005, 4:56 PM
Jim,
That looks like a great shop! You had a really terrific time! Those bandsaw dovetails look great! Using the bandsaw keeps the cuts square to the board and you still end up with...a handmade dovetail...I have used that method on big ones in 8/4 with excellent results. I just started getting DIY network and I am looking forward to David Marks program....he makes some great stuff!

Alan Turner
03-24-2005, 5:10 AM
Great opportunity. Can you review his procedure for cutting DT's on a BS? Is he a pinfirstian? Does he use jigs?
I made the jig in the Charlesworth book, and it works quite well, but only used it once, on very heavy, 8/4 bubinga. Looks in the pix like he is not using any jig.

sascha gast
03-24-2005, 5:45 AM
i also enjoyed my 3 days with david, he's a great guy. i kinda wanna fo again this year and do some turning, i'd love to give that oneway a spin.
i'll see him again at the pomona show, can't wait, many things to talk about.

sascha

Jim Barrett
03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Great opportunity. Can you review his procedure for cutting DT's on a BS? Is he a pinfirstian? Does he use jigs?
I made the jig in the Charlesworth book, and it works quite well, but only used it once, on very heavy, 8/4 bubinga. Looks in the pix like he is not using any jig.
Hi Alan,
David is a "pins first" guy. We did not use any jigs for cutting the pins or tails. Just freehand...but we did discuss the use of a jig for the pins.

Jim

Tim Farrell
03-24-2005, 5:20 PM
Congrats on your time with David - the dovetails look fantastic.

I, too, got to spend a day with David in his shop. It was a great experience. First off, the shop is amazing. Fantastic space - wonderfully laid out.
Secondly, David was really accomodating. He was able to speak directly to my skill level (novice) and we put the time to excellent use.
I learned a large amount in a very short time.

I highly recommend the time (and cost) or a personal visit, as well as his show.

tim