PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Shaper Spindle Travel

Rob Holcomb
03-03-2012, 4:31 PM
What would be the minimum amount of spindle travel that would be acceptable. Would 1 1/2" be enough? Thanks in advance for your replies.

J.R. Rutter
03-03-2012, 6:48 PM
If you are using one cutter at a time (or two if the size and profiles allow), then this should be fine. Tall spindles and more travel allow for keeping a stack of cutters in place, but if you just swap them between profiles, no problemo.

johnny means
03-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Some pattern and rebate cutters may require 3" or more to use their full range. I would only consider 1.5" enough on only the smallest of shapers. For anything even approaching industrial quality (3hp or more), I would want a minimum of three inches.

Rob Holcomb
03-03-2012, 8:26 PM
I have the Grizzly G1035 shaper. It has 3" of spindle travel but I've been struggling with the table size since I bought it. I have made threads in the past about this and also about options to add an extension table. The problem has become that the extentions don't offer the support needed. So I thought if I made a larger table and placed it on top of the current table, I might get the size and support I need. The reason I posted this question is if I were to make a table 1 1/2" thick to place on top, I would lose that much travel so I'm hoping 1 1/2" of travel that will be left will be enough.

Rod Sheridan
03-03-2012, 9:21 PM
Spindle travel isn't an issue at all.

If you had shims of 0.010" then that's the most spindle travel you would require to properly position your cutter.

Your concern is useable spindle height, so measure the top most limit on your spindle at full elevation. Now subtract the thickness of your proposed table and see if the largest cutter you want to run will fit.

I would assume 2 1/2" would be minimum as that would accept a 50mm cutter and bearing.

Regards, Rod.

Jeff Duncan
03-05-2012, 10:43 AM
Just curious what type of cuts your doing that the table size is a that much a problem? Not to say bigger isn't helpful at times, I have infeed and out feed tables for my shaper. Maybe there's alternate solutions depending on what your trying to do?

good luck,
jeffD