PDA

View Full Version : Toothing plane iron

Dale Coons
03-03-2012, 1:03 PM
People were looking for toothing plane irons a short while ago--I've been wanting one myself so ordered one (ECE)from www.fine-tools.com (http://www.fine-tools.com) (Dieter Schmid). The company is in Germany. Cost was 15.04 euros and another 7.00 euros for shipping--that was the least 'envelope' shipping. So for about 22 euros (about $29) total, it arrived in 10 days. This was less than half of some other sources I looked at.

Well packaged--the 'envelope' is cardboard, and the iron came wrapped in plastic in an little box. It's 48mm (1 7/8") wide, the teeth run about 2 inches up the blade which is quite heavy--its just shy of 3/16 thick--no doubt some even metric size. The product is "#301211 Blade for Toothed Plane 48 mm ECE"

They speak (at least write) english as I got a note right away after the order explaining they would ship in two days. The website is also in english.

So, good experience, looks like they have quite a variety of parts, planes and other tools.

Here's a quickie phone pic in case you're interested.

Dale.

Leigh Betsch
03-03-2012, 2:53 PM
I looked at them but decided to build my own first. Can you tell me what the bevel angle is, and what the bed angle is for the ECE that it fits?

Dale Coons
03-03-2012, 4:37 PM
Well, the bevel on the blade measures at 65*, and the ECE toothed plane 108 S (a woodie) on the fine-tools website says the cutting angle is 75*, so the bedding angle is nearly straight up--which looks about right in the picture they have.

ECE Toothed Plane 108 S
cutting angle of 75°, length 220 mm, blade width 48 mm. You do not know how to sharpen a toothed blade? Sharpen the bevel as you do it with every other plane blade. Then strike the blade with a wooden mallet into a hardwood block. The burr will be removed.
Sole: hornbeam
Body: beech