PDA

View Full Version : Titan chuck is finally back!

Mike Peace
03-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Teknatool "temporarily" discontinued production of the Titan chuck a few years ago, I think about the time they took their production to China. I see that WC now carries it on their website and Amazon as well. Looks like it comes direct threaded for 1 1/4" X 8 so most folks buying will not need to get an adapter. It appears to come with the "standard" Power Grip jaws rather than the three hole set that were available years ago. At 5" it is bigger than the Oneway Stronghold at 4 1/2". Wonder when we will see them show up as refurbs at the Teknatool USA refurb site? Not sure if I turn enough large stuff on my PM 3520 to warrant anything bigger than an SN2 but if there is a small price difference it might be worthwhile.

Any thoughts?

Jon Nuckles
03-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I can take personal credit for the return of the Titan. I had heard promises of its return for 6 months or more and had wanted to get one. Last week I got a sale email from Craft Supplies with a big discount on the SN2 and bought a second one of those. Sort of like getting your car washed brings on the rainstorm, spending your chuck funds results in the appearance of the chuck you had been waiting for!

Jason Clark2
03-03-2012, 2:23 PM
Sweet! I just ordered one via Amazon. Now I need to find someone with the Titan Power Grip jaws in stock.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2012, 4:55 PM
Anyone have one of these chucks and care to offer an opinion?

Steve Kubien
03-03-2012, 6:30 PM
I have a stable of SN2'sand when I recently wanted a larger chuck, I picked up an Axminster Goliath at Lee Valley (it arrived this week). Nice bit of kit.

Just throwing it out there.

Mike Peace
03-03-2012, 6:33 PM
Steve, here is a link to an older review http://www.morewoodturning.net/articles/titan.pdf. I doubt if Teknatool changed the design since it appeared to be a good one. It appears to use the same key as the SN2 chucks which is a ball ended T handle allen wrench. Kind of nice if you were demoing and forgot your chuck as you can get a standard allen wrench to fit it. Looks like Jason got the last one in stock from Amazon so mine is on back order. I was afraid there would be a price jump if I waited for the next shipment to come in before ordering.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2012, 7:05 PM
Thanks for the link Mike.... I'll check it out.

Jason Clark2
03-03-2012, 7:55 PM
I did get the last one from Amazon. I was afraid of a price hike and saw they said only 1 more in stock. I'm sure I'll incur the wrath of SWMBO (as this will be my 6th chuck, 4 SN2s and 1 G3) but it should be worth it.

Jason

Gary Max
03-03-2012, 8:11 PM
Anyone have one of these chucks and care to offer an opinion?

Steve---- I have a Titan that has a bunch of miles on it, some of which where on very rough roads-------- has to be one of the toughest tools on the planet.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2012, 9:45 PM
Thanks Gary! I will check into these chucks a little further! I'm not in a rush but the only chuck I have is a Talon. Works great but I sure wouldn't mind having something with a little more beef every once in a while!

Rick Markham
03-04-2012, 2:37 AM
Oh boy more stuff on the list... I too just recently bought a new SN2... But chucks are like pringles, you can't just have one... or two.. (in some folk's cases 10) :)

I've read nothing but good stuff about them when I was researching, I'm glad they are back, I may have a need VERY VERY soon ;)

Gary Max
03-04-2012, 7:11 AM
Rick to give you some ideal how much I think of my Titan----- I wore 2 SN-2's out before I spent the big bucks on the Titan. Outside of some heavy patina it still works like the day I bought it---5 plus years ago.

Jason Clark2
03-05-2012, 2:54 PM
Mine arrived today - I'm not happy. Please see my new thread for details.

Rick Markham
03-05-2012, 3:16 PM
I just read your thread Jason, that's indeed a bummer, you should take pics of it and post them so we all can see what the new one looks like