PDA

View Full Version : jet 22-44 closed stand wheel modification

William C Rogers
03-03-2012, 5:28 AM
I have a similar stand to the Jet 22-44 closed stand. I am not happy with the fact the wheels don't swivel, as was wondering if anyone had come up with a better solution.

Mark Ashmeade
03-03-2012, 9:55 AM
The wheels on my Jet 22-44 stand (the dog bone one) definitely don't swivel, because there aren't any! I will thus be watching this thread...

Dick Mahany
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Here's what I did on mine and I'm much happier with the mobility now. I put 3" outboard polyurethane locking casters on one end and left the other end as is. The only disadvantage is the added footprint needed to allow full swivel for the casters, but the advantages outweigh it for me.

William C Rogers
03-10-2012, 6:33 AM
First off, I have the Supermax sander and bought their closed stand. Similar to the Jet closed stand with no swivel on the wheels, but their locking method for the wheels was a small star knob down at the wheel level. I knew I didn't want to be bending over to lock each wheel and for mobility wanted swivels. After doing a lot of mobile base searching I bought the Wood River 152711 base from Woodcraft. Another $68 dollars with tax added to the stand cost. I think overall they will work fine. You basically cut 3/4 ply and bolt the wheels to it. It has two front swivels instead of one. My stand has a contour, so the ply was cut to the contour. I had not mounted the sander yet, so not too difficult. Here are some pictures with the base installed.