PDA

View Full Version : Shoji doors

Jay Jolliffe
03-02-2012, 4:52 PM
I'm a little apprehensive posting these on here as I've seen some incredible work on the forum. I don't know how the pic's will show up as I've never tried to post pic's in order before. So here goes
225999The first two show the process of laying it out & cutting the various angles & pieces.
The next one shows the center panel that was made from two panels & joined at the middle. The last one shows the four panels with the first & last that slide behind the center panels. I had a pic showing that but I guess it got lost somewhere posting this. They were made from poplar with a veneered panel at the bottom with Macasser Ebony. The material is a lamanated paper & in the diamonds at the top are colored glass & at the bottom diamonds they are 2'' beveled glass. The finish is two coats black alchol base dye with three coats of wipe on poly. I had to make six grids as the sliding doors look the same on the other side. O forgot to say the door on the right is a closet & the door on the left is a bathroom. I really liked making these. The first on took about eight hrs to do because I made a template from the first one so the other ones went faster. Boy this is getting long & I don't know if it's making any sense.

Thomas Bank
03-02-2012, 6:57 PM
I'm a little apprehensive posting these on here as I've seen some incredible work on the forum.

You're apprehensive about showing that you joined the club of people who've posted incredible work on here? I'm not sure why you're apprehensive about that! :D

Sam Murdoch
03-02-2012, 8:37 PM
Yeah Jay - be proud and loud :D. So what did you use for the tracks?
Very nicely done!

Sam

glenn bradley
03-02-2012, 8:41 PM
Me likey! The macasser offset by the black is classic.

Andrew Hughes
03-02-2012, 9:11 PM
Hi jay ,Beautiful work i thought the wood you were using was yellow cedar.You did a fine job with the poplar.If you like working with small parts you may want to try some yellow cedar. it really is a joy to work and very stable.I get my alaskan yellow cedar from Keith at Easy Creek lumber in oregon.The last stuff he sent me had about 30 lines per inch.Anyways nice work. Andrew

Paul Cahill
03-02-2012, 9:27 PM
Nice doors. I like the way they are framed by the wall beams.

Paul

Mike Null
03-07-2012, 5:14 PM
Great work and design! I have just the place for a pair of them--if I only had the inclination.

Ron Natalie
03-07-2012, 7:35 PM
Very nice. Could you elaborate on how the joints are made where the rails hit the diamond. Do they just half-lap under neath the two mitred pieces of the diamond?

Craig Behnke
03-08-2012, 11:45 AM
outstanding work, I love 'em.

reluctant? hell, i'd be proud as all get out to show off those purdy babies. i posted a measly little pen and was proud of myself. No matter what task you choose to do, for all but one person on earth there is always someone "better" at it than you (and me) so I don't let that bother me one bit.

I tend to focus on having fun creating something and I spend zero time thinking about who does it better. Actually,...I like that there are people with skills far superior to mine....it gives me a source to learn from and goals to aim for!

Brent VanFossen
03-09-2012, 2:28 AM
Lovely. My wife will be such a fan of these, I don't dare show her the photos until I get some other projects finished.

Very nice work.

George Gyulatyan
03-09-2012, 4:23 PM
Wow, that's some incredibly beautiful work!

Jim Matthews
03-12-2012, 9:28 PM
Micrometers are banned from my shop, they're no good for driving nails.

The fit and precision required to make these is daunting.
That you have a modern take on this is refreshing.

Are you a fan of Louis Comfort Tiffany?

jim
wpt, ma
(where I'm striving for straight, flat and assembled all at the same time)

robert raess
03-12-2012, 9:54 PM
Great job!! Could you expand on just about everything:joinery choices,paper choices,glue for the paper,and the track ,as well as how you gained 'Shoji' skills.It is on my short to-do list, please share more. Thanks Rob

Jay Jolliffe
03-13-2012, 3:45 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Matthews;1893636]Micrometers are banned from my shop, they're no good for driving nails.

The fit and precision required to make these is daunting.
That you have a modern take on this is refreshing.

Are you a fan of Louis Comfort Tiffany?

Not really that much of a fan. I like some of the glass & the workmanship that they did & still do I think. I designed something simpler but the owner had a friend design something a lot more complicated. It was like Frank Lloyd Wright went to Japan. I guess he really did & designed some of his furniture & architecture with Japanese influence. So I scaled them down a little thinking it would of been to hard to do. But after doing these I don't think it would of been a problem.
Using the calipers made it a lot easier to sneak up on the thickness of the wood for the grid work. I used a thickness sander to get it right. I tried going from the table saw to putting them together but the fit wasn't good enough. Just a little persuasion with a dead blow hammer & they went right into place after they were sanded.

Tom Giles
03-13-2012, 6:14 PM
Looks great to me. Nice doors.