PDA

View Full Version : small lidded potpourri box

Larry Marley
03-02-2012, 3:54 PM
I have not posted in a long time. Here is a recent piece:
About 3 inches in Diameter 2" tall. Reclaimed Honduras mahogany and maple.

Steve Campbell
03-02-2012, 4:03 PM
Wow I really like this one. That lid is a lot of work.

Steve

Greg Just
03-02-2012, 4:05 PM
That is very cool. Nice job

Richard Allen
03-02-2012, 4:08 PM
Very nice!!

Dane Fuller
03-02-2012, 5:20 PM
Very nice. Did you put a video up on your website?

Roland Martin
03-02-2012, 6:28 PM
Very well done Larry. A nice/unique lid.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2012, 7:11 PM
Small indeed! Very big in detail and beauty!

Steve Vaughan
03-02-2012, 7:31 PM
What a great little bowl! Love it all but really love the lid!

David E Keller
03-02-2012, 7:43 PM
That's cool! Great lid design for a potpourri pot and just as pretty as it is functional!

charlie knighton
03-02-2012, 7:47 PM
very nice......

Curt Fuller
03-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Having watched Hans Weissflog's demo from an old AAW symposium video so many times I could probably recite it from memory....and still never been successful at one of these lids, I can really appreciate what you've done here. That looks just about perfect and I really like the combination of woods you've used. That's really sharp looking Larry!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Holy cow that is a beauty.

Larry Marley
03-03-2012, 1:51 AM
Thanks everyone! This is definitely a Hans Weissflog inspired turning, just not nearly as detailed as his work. I was practicing to make this when I got the idea of this year’s Angelornament while holding it up to the light.
So Dane, There is a video on my site for the angel I made using the same technique. In the video, I used a narrow parting tool. I later made my own tool to allow for smaller diameter cuts without binding or burning.

Michelle Rich
03-03-2012, 4:55 AM
neat little bowl..I do this on a much larger & more intricate scale, so I'm always interested in what others do in this arena

John Keeton
03-03-2012, 6:45 AM
Excellent work! Not having watched any videos, nor studied this - other than seeing Michelle's work, how these pieces are mounted is puzzling. Guess I just need to watch that old video, or watch Larry's. Thanks, Larry, for another creative endeavor!

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2012, 11:53 PM
First time I've seen that style of lid and it sure is sharp! Great colors, very clean lines on everything! Great to have you posting again Larry! I will check out your video!

Great video! Really enjoyed watching you create your Christmas Angel!

Russell Neyman
03-04-2012, 1:02 PM
neat little bowl..I do this on a much larger & more intricate scale, so I'm always interested in what others do in this arena

I love Larry's small lidded bowl, but the second I saw it I thought of your work, Michelle. I suppose you could apply the same design and leave the lattice rimless, like a grating. Larry, I'm wondering what the sequence of this one was; is the double-lattice a separate pice that has been glued in place? I know how I'd do it (creating the maple pattern halfway through a board, cutting it round, glueing it into an inset on the mahogany, then turning off the excess before flipping it and addint the circles to the underside of the lid.) I guess we'd all like to see what your non-binding tool looks like, too.

Great work. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Larry Marley
03-04-2012, 3:24 PM
Thanks again for all the kind comments.
Here is what I did:

The maple is 1/4" thick. I mounted it to an mdf faceplate with turners tape and used a parting tool to cut it slightly over the final diameter. I then used a point tool for the final cut to get a very clean edge.
I used the tool Shown in the pics below to freehand cut the groves on the underside. These are cut just past half way through. I then remove it, flip it over and remount it off center with turners tape, and turn the next set of grooves. Next, very carefully remove it and after finish sanding to clean off any fuzzies, I turned the lid to accept the maple lattice, parted off the lid / rim and reverse chucked it to complete the rim then finished the bowl.
I waited to glue the lattice in place until after applying the finish to the piece.
The tool I made is from 3/8" tool steel rod. the tip is a heavy 1/16" wide and beveled at about 40 degrees.

Neil McWilliams
03-04-2012, 5:48 PM
I'm really fascinated by this box. Would you be so kind as to share how you went about making it?