PDA

View Full Version : IWF -- Any SMC gathering this time?

Matt Meiser
03-02-2012, 3:52 PM
I'm thinking of taking a couple days and going to IWF this year. If I do I'm thinking I'd fly down early one morning, take the train to the convention center, stay somewhere right there, and then fly back the next evening. In 2010 (or was it 2008?) SMC had a booth in someone else's booth. Any plans to do that again? Any plans for a gathering?

Its a long way off yet, but there are still cheap fares on Southwest from Detroit so I'm thinking of making some arrangements.

Van Huskey
03-02-2012, 4:57 PM
2010, even years IWF in Atlanta, odd years AWFS in Vegas. Ken was in the Stinger booth.

I will be there and certainly would like to plan a meet or meal or...

Bruce Wrenn
03-02-2012, 8:52 PM
We do a fly in, go to CNN center and eat breakfast, then to show. After registration, we check bags, and do show. Lunch is again in the CNN center (right across the street.) In evening, we take train to Five points, and transfer to a north bound for Linburg Center. Take Bufford hwy / Sidney Marcus Blvd bus to hotel, (Country Inn Suites.) Bus lets us off across street from hotel. Dinner is usually over by Lenox Square, via train. Breakfast is at hotel. Bus stops at foot of hotel stairs and takes us back to Linburg Ctr for train back to show. I would allow for TWO FULL days at show. Country Inn Suites has very reasonable room pricing if bought in advance.

Art Mulder
03-02-2012, 9:18 PM
What does it cost to attend IWF, Matt?

I was actually thinking of WIA (http://woodworkinginamerica.com/ehome/index.php?eventid=23002&tabid=33381&) in Cincinnati would be interesting... That is actually driveable for me.

Matt Meiser
03-02-2012, 9:31 PM
Looks like $20. Plus airfare, hotel, meals, ground transportation, etc.

Paul Grothouse
03-02-2012, 10:25 PM
I'll be there, it's always worth the trip for me. It's super easy to get around with the Atlanta train.

Keith Outten
03-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Jackie and I were at IWF in August 2010. I was invited to speak at the CAMaster booth each day and we had the opportunity to meet a large number of SawMill Creeker's during the week long Fair.

I haven't given a lot of thought to attending this year but it might be possible depending on our work schedule. We drove to Atlanta last time and would probably drive again this year if we decide to attend. I doubt we would stay more than a couple of days if we go this year so we could spend some vacation time away from the big city :)

We received a warm welcome last time from the Director of IWF, he was pleased we would be attending and I expect he would be glad to help us coordinate a meeting room for our Members this year. I would be glad to contact him and see what might be available if we expect a large group to be attending this year.

Van Huskey
03-03-2012, 2:24 AM
Looks like $20. Plus airfare, hotel, meals, ground transportation, etc.

Last time Oliver had a coupon code on their site for $5 off, but not up yet, I think it was a little closer to the show. It is possible to register as a team (3 or more) for $10 each. The only negative MAY (I have never done this) be losing the ability to quickly sign up for info at booths. Each (or most) of the booths have a scanner, so if you want info they scan your badge and then type in the info you need, all the address info is already there, point is it may all have to be set up as one address.