PDA

View Full Version : Funny Names

Liesl Dexheimer
03-02-2012, 2:42 PM
TGIF! Since it's been a long week I thought I would share something funny. Over the years I've been compiling a list of strange/funny names I have engraved. Here's the list:

Twirp Gottman
Dr. Hal Deatherage (would really want a Dr to have the word death in his name?)
Brent Boozer
Doug Counts
David Boner
Chris Baldassi
Bruce Heine
Bill Slutz
Will Hurt
Mason Takeshita

and the funniest by far: Bland Dickey

Any funny or strange things you have come across or engraved?

Mike Troncalli
03-02-2012, 2:49 PM
Had a customer named Holly Wood.. (No lie)

Joe Hillmann
03-02-2012, 3:26 PM
There have been a few that I have chuckled at when engraving but can't remember them off hand, although recently I did something for a Lynn Cheney, and another one for Martha Stewart, I doubt either one went to the famous people with those names but you never know.

Liesl Dexheimer
03-02-2012, 4:03 PM
Haha, that's a good one! It makes me wonder what was going through their parents heads when they named their children odd names.

Had a customer named Holly Wood.. (No lie)

Liesl Dexheimer
03-02-2012, 4:04 PM
Makes me think of Office Space (character named Michael Bolton)...

There have been a few that I have chuckled at when engraving but can't remember them off hand, although recently I did something for a Lynn Cheney, and another one for Martha Stewart, I doubt either one went to the famous people with those names but you never know.

Dan Ashlin
03-02-2012, 5:05 PM
One of the first jobs I ever got. "Bing Poon"

ray hampton
03-02-2012, 5:09 PM
I have seen names that was so strange that the people may had change their names to go with their business so that you or I would remember the name

Neil Pabia
03-02-2012, 5:11 PM
I served with a guy named Richard Long, went by Dick.

Steven Cox
03-03-2012, 3:08 AM
I did a dog tag a few weeks ago for a guy in the Army he was a Corporal and the dog's name was Sarg.
So I asked him "Does that make the dog your superior?"
And quick as lightning he replied "Might as well be, he's like my own Sargent he expects me to pick up all his crap"

Brian Kent
03-03-2012, 9:59 AM
Tom Jones and Glenn Miller go to my church. I went to Jr High with Snow White. San Diego Chargers had big running back named Marion Butts, and absolutely no one laughed at him.

ray hampton
03-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Tom Jones and Glenn Miller go to my church. I went to Jr High with Snow White. San Diego Chargers had big running back named Marion Butts, and absolutely no one laughed at him.

not to his face but what will they say behind his back

Larry Browning
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Years ago when my dad had his first heart attack, his cardiologist's name was Dr. Safety First

Brian Effinger
03-03-2012, 11:34 AM
There is a family in this area that own's several funeral homes, and their name is on a sign in front of every one. And that name is Amigone. And yes, it is pronounced exactly as you think it is. :D I'm not from this area originally, and I thought (still do) that was really funny the first time I saw it.

Scott Donley
03-03-2012, 1:43 PM
Dr. Slaughter, was my oral surgeon years ago. I will never forget him :(

Chuck Patterson
03-03-2012, 1:50 PM
I engraved "Horny Paiute" on a headstone.

Ricky Rater
03-03-2012, 3:15 PM
I work with a really good engineer named Bucky Buckmaster.

Used to work with a gentleman named Bharat Contractor - he introduced me to Indian cuisine.

If I had a daughter I'd try to name her Jenna Rater but my wife would probably veto.

Brian Elfert
03-03-2012, 3:39 PM
My parents knew someone whose maiden name was Bar. Her first name was Candy thus her name was Candy Bar. I have no idea why her parents thought that was a good name.

I was at a Cub Scout ceremony last night and I couldn't believe the first names of some of the kids. I have no idea where parents come up with some of the names these days.

Matt Marsh
03-03-2012, 4:10 PM
I young lady where my wife works is named Amista Smith. Nobody thought twice about it until a gentleman with a southern accent called on the telephone and asked for her.

"Yes I'd like to speak to Amista Smith please"
"What's his first name sir?"

There is a local chain of funeral homes here, named, owned, and operated by the "Cease" family.

Chuck Patterson
03-03-2012, 5:05 PM
I also did an award for a person named Brandon Caddle.

Jerry Bruette
03-03-2012, 5:21 PM
I work with a lady whose name is April Furst. I thought it was a joke when first introduced. Some people refer to her as 4-1.

Myk Rian
03-03-2012, 5:31 PM
The names say it all.

Patrick McCarthy
03-03-2012, 5:32 PM
I was picking a jury in Ventura Superior Court a bunch of years ago. The judge was doing the initial jury voir dire of name, occupation, prior jury service, length of time in the county, etc. The judge got to the 4th or 5th juror, who indcated his name was kenneth finger, and he was a doctor. The judge asked what type of doctor, and he responded "OB/GYN". The judge started to ask which local hospital he worked at, but before he could get half of the question out his female clerk burst out laughing (in an otherwise very serious courtroom). The laughter stunned everyone . . . . but suddenly the slow-witted rest of us got the humor. True story.

Belinda Barfield
03-03-2012, 6:23 PM
Local GYN - Dr. Love
Local ER doc - Dr. Jack Frost
My cousin - Cinderella. (she married into the family)
My good fried and occasional co worker - Richard Waite

anthony wall
03-03-2012, 7:32 PM
a friend from school was named rosamunda trout and a teacher was named mr wankling ,rosa got a lot of ribbing about her name and the teacher attracted a lot of childish sniggering

Matt Meiser
03-03-2012, 8:34 PM
Of course there was the NASCAR driver Dick Trickle. I always thought Depends should be his sponsor.

A guy was our scout leader, Mr. Ford (who worked for Ford but was not related to Henry) said he always wanted to name a son Rusty.

The funny thing was we always teased Mr. Ford about how rich he must be as a Ford working for Ford but we had another leader, Mr. Knabusch who was two of the kids grandpa. This (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=La-Z-Boy&mobileaction=view_normal_site) Mr. Knabusch which isn't funny but rather ironic and we really had no idea who he was at the time.

paul cottingham
03-03-2012, 9:11 PM
I know a realtor called albie shamess. Knew a dentist called dr Payne.

Steve Griffin
03-03-2012, 9:48 PM
Childhood dentist:
Dr Payne

Ole Anderson
03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Oddest one I ever saw years ago was a name of the local department head in a major chain grocery store. Behind the meat counter was a sign reading "Oral Manlove, Head Meat Cutter". Oh, then there was Dr. Atchoo, but no, she wasn't an allergist.

Norberto Coutinho
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Brazilian funny names....
in portuguese .... http://algunsnomesestranhos.blogspot.com/
translated by google .... http://translate.google.com.br/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-BR&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Falgunsnomesestranhos.blogspot.com%2 F&act=url

Norberto Coutinho
03-03-2012, 11:21 PM
This one is the must
And there the case of a maid, those simple, gave her daughter the name of Madeinusa. When a person's home was ask her the reason for the name, she replied innocently, I was just taking your clothes to wash and read the label of your shirt the word "Made in USA", I found it so beautiful ...

Belinda Barfield
03-04-2012, 8:32 AM
Neighbor from years ago . . . Dayanne Knight.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2012, 3:43 PM
Roman Centurion

Rick Gooden
03-04-2012, 4:17 PM
Went to school with Mary Christmas. Had a client names Richard Head. I have another client with one of the coolest names I ever heard.......Artis Barbre, just a unique name with a wonderful sound to it.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-04-2012, 6:08 PM
I think the most lyrical name is that of a poet who lived long ago= Edna St. Vincent Milay
Max.

Chris Damm
03-05-2012, 8:10 AM
I work with a really good engineer named Bucky Buckmaster.

Every Buckmaster I know is nicknamed Bucky.
Every Olsen I know is nicknamed Ole.
I knew a Merry Christmas who got married at 17 just to change her name!
I heard of Happy Birthday in the next town.
I joked about naming my son Godfrey. My MIL thought I was serious!

Eric DeSilva
03-05-2012, 9:48 AM
I went to a meat counter at the local Safeway once and the little sign on the wall said I was being served by "Biff Berger."

Pat Barry
03-05-2012, 1:11 PM
Seriously I caddied for a guy named Dick Hertz when I was a kid. Another fellow at work was a contractor name Mike Hunt. They had to page him very carefully over the PA system several times a month for various issues.

Jim Rimmer
03-05-2012, 2:04 PM
Former Texas Governor Hogg named his daughter Ima. Contrary to urban legend, she did not have a sister named Ura but Ima was real.

Don Orr
03-05-2012, 4:27 PM
In my school when I was a kid;

George George
John Johns
April May June

Honest!

jason thigpen
03-05-2012, 10:07 PM
This is no lie. In Austin, there is a doctor who advertises on the radio for vasectomies. His name, Dr. Richard Chop.

Curt Fuller
03-05-2012, 10:28 PM
My very close friend and neighbor, Vietnamese born, Phuc Nguyen. He pronounces his first name "Foke", last name "Win". He's an absolutely wonderful person. I'm pretty certain his parents did not visualize him coming to America when they named him though.

Kevin W Johnson
03-05-2012, 10:32 PM
I saw a birth anouncement in the paper once, Manure (needs slash over the e) pronounced Man-u-ray. People just don't think when they name their children.

Jim Rimmer
03-06-2012, 1:52 PM
In my school when I was a kid;

George George
John Johns
April May June

Honest!

In a previous life I taught high school and had two female cousins, Robin Robins and her cousin Kelly Kelley. Both were naamed by their grandmother.

Mark Ross
03-06-2012, 2:16 PM
Pat McGroin
Harry Balzonya
Peter Everhard

Charles Wiggins
03-06-2012, 3:08 PM
Went to school with a girl named True Love.
When I was growing up in Asheville there was a family whose surname was Register. They named their boys Cash and National.
I worked at the power company with a married woman named Sallie Salley.
My friend has a great aunt named Fannie Bunn.

Raymond Fries
03-08-2012, 9:36 PM
There was a Leafy Plant that went to my college.
John Lear ( the designer of the lear jet) named his daugher Cyrstal Chanda
By brother had a girl in his class with the last nome or Hollopeter.
My daughter had a Guy Named Bozo in her class
How about Dweezel and Moon Unit from the Zappa family.
A co-worker knows a Mary Christmas.

ray hampton
03-08-2012, 11:42 PM
I once work for a company name Fries&Sons, in the summer we call it Fry, in the winter we call it Freeze