PDA

View Full Version : help with MK II setup

RichMagnone
03-23-2005, 1:04 AM
For those of you who own one of these, how much "wobble" do you get as you move further to the outside of the disk? I feel like I am not getting a flat surface and I am definitely getting more sparks on the 80 grit on the outside of the disk. I've been monkeying with the setup screws and just can't seem to get it right. Any tips?

Steve Clardy
03-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Are you saying maybe your disc table is not flat? I get no wobble with mine.

Roger Bell
03-23-2005, 11:04 AM
There should not be any wobble. Something is wrong somewhere if there is. Recommend that you call Lee Valley customer service and they will help you trouble shoot and isolate the problem.

Mark Singer
03-23-2005, 11:09 AM
Gene Collison really knows that machine....give him a PM

RichMagnone
03-23-2005, 11:57 AM
Thanks guys - I sometimes wonder about how the one machine they pick out of a whole batch that is a lemon somehow gets shipped to my door!

John Miliunas
03-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Rich, do you get the same type of "action" from both/all of your discs? Have you tried checking them "bare", with no paper on them? If it's the same results regardless, yeah...Call LV and let them know. I'm sure they'll take care of you! Keep us posted.:) :cool:

RichMagnone
03-23-2005, 2:55 PM
Luckily, I putchased an extra 3mm disk, so I'll check that extra one, as I have not yet attached the 5m and .5m sheets to it yet (wow, getting those bubbles out is tricky business!)

Gene Collison
03-23-2005, 9:23 PM
For those of you who own one of these, how much "wobble" do you get as you move further to the outside of the disk? I feel like I am not getting a flat surface and I am definitely getting more sparks on the 80 grit on the outside of the disk. I've been monkeying with the setup screws and just can't seem to get it right. Any tips?

Rich,

I can probably help you if you tell me more about the wobble you are seeing. Is the platter moving up and down or are you seeing runout on the side of the platter? I doubt if it is an up and down motion and runout on the rim is not detrimental.
One of the keys to getting successful results with the MK11 is getting the toolbar parallel to the platter. I adjust mine with an empty platter without abrasive added to it. Bring the toolbar down on the platter and adjust it until it touches evenly on both sides. Then raise it up until a 1/2 drill bit shank will slide under the center of the tool bar with a slight bit of friction. At that setting test the distance of the spacing on both ends of the toolbar and adjust the tool bar until you feel the same friction. Go back and forth as many times as necessary to get it parallel to the platter. The instructions in this area are quite weak IMHO, as it is the key as to whether your edges are square, or skewed. Get it right. As for the sparks you are seeing, the outer part of the disc will cause more sparks because the peripheral velocity is higher than near the center. You can pass your tool over the center and use the trailing side of the platter too to keep things even. In other words use both sides of the platter. Hope this is all clear, if not you can PM me.

Gene

RichMagnone
03-24-2005, 7:03 AM
Yes, I took a good look and it is not up and down wobble - it is runout, as though the platter were a tiny bit oval.

I'll try some adjustments to the toolbar.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Gene Collison
03-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Yes, I took a good look and it is not up and down wobble - it is runout, as though the platter were a tiny bit oval.

I'll try some adjustments to the toolbar.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Runout on the edge of the platter is of no consequence. The platters being flat is the important thing.

Gene