PDA

View Full Version : Found Low cost lumber for my Morris Chair

Mark Dorman
03-01-2012, 10:31 PM
hope I'm not breaking a rule here but I thought this might be of interest to some. While looking for lumber for a Morris Chair project I came across these guys just south of Des Moines Iowa.
http://eastperulumber.com/ this lumber company just dropped the price on white oak to $1.00 a board foot temporarily. normally it's 1.50 to two bucks and they ship to the lower 48. they also have Walnut for a buck. I'm going this weekend to check it out. Hopefully it's quality stuff because it beats the 3.50 to 5.00. Bucks elsewhere. Normaly I don't get excited about shopping but a buck a board foot isn't normal.

Not affiliated in any way just thought I would share the link.
Mark
Good, Better, Best never let it rest
Till your Good is Better and your Better is Best.

Zahid Naqvi
03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
wow! There is no way we will find Walnut at these prices down in Texas. I wonder what their shipping will be like.

Mark Dorman
03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
kind of what I was thinking at that price it might pay to have it shipped. Lucky for me it's about a 45 mile drive.

Russell Sansom
03-01-2012, 11:31 PM
The one gotcha I've found with some lumber sellers is the practice of simply throwing the board through a planer without jointing one side. The wood at Southern Lumber here in the SF Bay Area is done that way. So, a 7/8" thick S2S board has to be taken down to around 1/2" to be of any use. I have no idea how these folks do it.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2012, 1:57 AM
The problem with bargain lumber is it most likely is riff sawn and not quarter sawn.

One of the beauties of oak for a Morris chair is the medullary rays found in quarter sawn oak.

It would still make a nice chair.

The buck a foot ash I bought for my bench has rough edges. I have been sawing it off if it is real rough or planing it down.

It is helping me to lower my blood sugar.

jtk

Mark Dorman
03-02-2012, 7:58 AM
I'm guessing it's riff sawen and hoping I can sort through it for the best cuts. That and is it straight edged at least one side and flat enough to have good usable thickness.