PDA

View Full Version : Recent Screwdrivers

James Roberts
03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Turned these about a month ago but I had them in mind to do for a long time. Already gifted some of them to family and friends. I bought some Kobalt screwdrivers when I found them on sale for a ridiculously low price from the blue big box store that rhymes with "hose". Cut off the plastic handle, drill a hole in the end of the blank to fit the insert and blade set, turn, finish, epoxy and done. I think they look better than the original, hope you think the same.

From left to right: spalted maple, cherry, walnut, oak,cherry, walnut.

Greg Just
03-01-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice looking handles. I did the same thing except I got mine at Menards. Paid $2 for the screwdriver, a lot less than the kits that are sold.

Jim Laumann
03-02-2012, 8:55 AM
Jim

Very nice.

Could you explain "Cut off the plastic handle"? Hack saw? Cut along the length of the insert shaft and split the plastic?

Thanks

Jim

Rich Stewart
03-02-2012, 9:45 AM
These make great gifts. I always have a couple around to give to friends. Everyone needs a good six-in-one screwdriver to have in thier catch-all drawer in the kitchen.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2012, 9:57 AM
Nice looking screw drivers. I keep two or three also for gifts.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Good looking handles Jim! Look like they would be a heck of a lot more comfortable than plastic! Nice work!

James Roberts
03-02-2012, 4:19 PM
Jim

Very nice.

Could you explain "Cut off the plastic handle"? Hack saw? Cut along the length of the insert shaft and split the plastic?

Thanks

Jim

Jim, I used a Dremel with a cut off wheel and cut up the length of the handle just far enough to pry the insert out, but I suppose a hack saw could work. If you nick the insert a tiny bit it won't hurt but try not to go to deep and remember to take the blade set out before you start. You can pry the insert out with another screw driver or steel bar once you're far enough into the plastic.

Keith Westfall
03-03-2012, 1:06 AM
Sometimes you can slip a decent size box end wrench over the screwdriver shaft, and then clamp the shaft of the screwdriver in a steel vise, and then just drive it off by pounding on the wrench with a hammer. Shouldn't take too much...

Erik Johanson
03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
What kind of finish did you put on the handles? They look great.

Paul Williams
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Another option, I chuck the butt end of the handle and turn the plastic Down close to the insert. Then pry or cut off the remained with a knife.

James Roberts
03-05-2012, 7:39 PM
Erik, nothing fancy as far as finish. The oak handle was an experiment with rattle can lacquer and the rest were done with beeswax burned in on the lathe.