PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi C10FL table saw

Bill Fields
03-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Bought this unit at Lowes about 10-12 days ago for $499 + tax. Compared to a Jet at $550.

Biggest negative-the included mobile base will work OK--just OK--on a really smooth concrete floor. Any ridges or expnasion strips in the floor will destroy (mine is bent beyond repair) the mobile base. The Jet did not offer a mobile base.

Insrtructions really suck--make sure one pays attention to the mating of the saw to the base and the fit of the important rigid plastic membrane for dust collection. Weighs about 300#, and certain phases of the set-up are strictly 2-person.

Otherwise, the unit, with much fiddling--- offers 24" rip--a decent fence and miter bar.

Guts--motor trunnions-internals al good quality cast iron.

The motor is fairly quiet, strong and smooth.

The dust collection is amazing--I consider removing mask and goggles for a couple of short cuts.

I just built a strong paltform base on 4" ball-bearing casters. There will be an accessory drawer on the top surface of the base for storage of parts, blades, dado sets, etc.

This should roll over most obstacles.

Most of my larger work is done OUTSIDE my 3-car garage due to a) Lack of room indoors b) Lack of a planned dust control system c) I live in Phoenix, where the weather is conducive to year round activity (except deep summer).

Other comments welcome--this saw is new to the market, and I was struck by the customer service guy at Hitachi USA who remarked--"be sure you keep all paper work in case you want to return it---"!

Final advice to those living in a city--look for used stuff like Grizzly/Delta/Powermatic before you make the plunge. BTW--plunge it is --it's hard to "take it back" from a logistical point of view.

Buy it if you are an occasional wood worker on a budget.

scott spencer
03-23-2005, 5:24 AM
Congrats on the new toy Bill. I'm curious what advantages you've noted that the Hitachi might have over the Sears 22104 & 22114, Griz 0444, Delta 36-680, and Ridgid 3650?

Enjoy and have fun!

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 8:17 AM
Have fun with the new table saw and enjoy!

Corey

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2005, 8:32 AM
I am interested to hear why you would pick the Hitachi over the Jet? The salesman's remark woulda worried me too much at the checkout.

Bill Fields
03-23-2005, 9:02 AM
Kelly-I had already brought the saw home and it was partially assembled when I had the need to call Hitachi customer service--so--kinda almost too late.

Bill

Bill Fields
03-23-2005, 9:09 AM
Scott:

I confess that I did not do all the homework I probably should have. I will look into these other TSs when I get a chance--but just for curiosity's sake.

When I put her up on shop-built mega-base today and put the odds and ends in the custom drawer underneath, I will make do with her shortcomings.

Are these TSs you mentioned in the $500 range?

Bill

Kelly C. Hanna
03-23-2005, 9:11 AM
I understand...I'll bet you are still within the "return to the store" window in case you have troubles past here. I hope everything works out for you.

Maurice Ungaro
03-23-2005, 9:39 AM
Picture?

Maurice

Frank Pellow
03-23-2005, 9:43 AM
Thanks for the mini-review Bill and I wish you good sawing!

scott spencer
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Scott: I confess that I did not do all the homework I probably should have. I will look into these other TSs when I get a chance--but just for curiosity's sake.
.... Are these TSs you mentioned in the $500 range? Bill I'm sure the Hitachi will be a good saw. I've heard other positive comments from a couple of owners. Yes, the other saws are in that general price range of ~$500-$575. I was just curious b/c the Hitachi is new...don't give it a second thought unless you find some major deficiencies.

Take care...

Richard Nelson
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Hitachi C10 FL Table Saw
I bought one of these C10 FL saws from Lowes about 6 montha ago. The blade has always been slightly out of parallel from the miter slots. I haven't done anything too precise before now. The manual does not tell you how to do it. I have tried turning the saw upside down and loosening the trunion bolts and tapping one way or the other, but cannot get it straight. Does any one know how to align this saw? I am going nuts.
Richard

Todd Jensen
07-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I have to disagree with the Hitachi as the top economical choice. I think for the same money, the Dewalt is a better saw, and I really love their fence system. I wouldn't trade my Hitachi C10fsh for a Dewalt, but think the opposite is true for the smaller table saws. Goes without saying, but just my .02.

Ed Blough
07-06-2007, 12:07 PM
I have to disagree with the Hitachi as the top economical choice. I think for the same money, the Dewalt is a better saw, and I really love their fence system. I wouldn't trade my Hitachi C10fsh for a Dewalt, but think the opposite is true for the smaller table saws. Goes without saying, but just my .02.

Todd
The Hitachi being talked about is a full table saw not the portable model.
Dewalt makes a table saw but it cost $1000+ model 746.

I think you confusing the saws being talked about as being Hitachi's portable on site saw and Dewalts on site saw both in the $500 price range.

Todd Jensen
07-06-2007, 7:14 PM
I stand corrected. :) Well, sit.

Charles Jackson III
07-06-2007, 7:45 PM
I dont understand why would u chose a Hitachi over a Jet but anyway its ur choice and congrats!

Chris Brault
07-16-2007, 11:47 PM
I bought this saw myself about 6 months ago. The instructions are about the only thing I didn't like about the saw!!

I like it real well. cuts great.

Allan Jones
04-04-2008, 1:41 PM
Check out a website "Woodcraft or In-Line Industries" for Precision Alignment System (PALS) $20.00. Also, Woodworking.com and TheWoodShop.20m.com have information on how to set up a table saw and squaring crosscut devices and more.

Allan