PDA

View Full Version : Any LA woodworkers here?

Jason White
03-01-2012, 7:03 PM
Hey guys.

I'm a TV producer and just moved to LA a few months ago. Looking for some fun woodworking-type stuff to do/stores to explore here. Any suggestions?

Oh, and if you happen to work in television, I'm looking for a job! ;)

Jason

Damon Stathatos
03-01-2012, 8:48 PM
I know of a good place in Sierra Madre...

But more seriously, go to a Rockler Store, pick up a free copy of Woodworker's West Magazine, and you'll find a lot of local resources that may otherwise escape you.

Jason White
03-02-2012, 1:56 AM
Had not heard of that magazine. Thanks for the tip!

Jason

Rick Potter
03-03-2012, 4:47 AM
You might want to take two tours.

1. The home tour in Pasadena, where they have the Green & Green craftsman style homes. They have specialized tours for people interested in more than a walk through.

2. The Sam Maloof home and workshop tour in Alta Loma (Rancho Cucamonga).

Rick Potter

Sam Layton
03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi Jason,

Welcome to LA. I am about 25 to 35 miles east of you, depending what part of LA you live. If you are looking for wood, there are several places that have a good supply. If it is exotic you are looking for, Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling, has more wood that you could ever use in a few lifetimes... Also, not far from you is Bohnhoff Lumber Company in Vernon, CA. 3411 E 26th St. (323) 263-9361. They have a good supply of wood in the rough. Then there is Lane Stanton Vance Lumber Co, 20501 Earlgate, Diamond Bar, CA. Tel: 909-598-2797. They also have a good selection of Lumber. Several others around depending on what you want.

Sam

Shawn Pixley
03-05-2012, 12:46 AM
I am up near Ventura. For tools etc... there is both Rockler and Woodcraft in the area. There is also Anderson Plywood and Eagle Tools in LA. Unfortunately, there aren't mills around here, o wood is generlly imported. Also, due to the relative newness of population here, there is not an abundance of used planes, etc... here. However, there are ome good resources for instruction (Cerritos College, Paul Schurch, etc...).

Jay Park
08-07-2012, 4:23 AM
Hey Jason,

I'm a newbie woodworker but welcome to LA

It's not really woodworking, but they have fun stuff & sharpening stones.

Japanese Knife Imports has kitchen knives and sharpening stones imported from Japan. They carry a lot of brand that you won't find in any other store/website in the states. Be careful how much you spend though.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com

Oh, and ditto on the Ventura Woodcraft. Fun place and they have finishing supplies you can't find in the rest of SoCal. LA is under the stupid Air Quality Management board which means you can't by most standard spirit base finishing supplies.