PDA

View Full Version : Origins of Nicholson files

george wilson
03-01-2012, 6:38 PM
No USA Nicholsons left at Home Depot here. I was near there and they are all gone. I saw Mexico on the smooth cut files,Brazil on the (very coarse) rasps,and Columbia on the coarse cut mill files (b a s t a r d cut).

I am not in the mood to buy 1 of each just to see if any are truly file hard.If any of you do this,let us know so people won't waste their money on soft files. They had Chinese files,too. I wonder how hard they are? Trouble with Chinese files are they aren't as nicely made. On needle files,their ends are tapered way too quick.

robert dankert
03-01-2012, 6:57 PM
I've started my first attempt at saw filing. It's a three foot crosscut. Picked up a Stanley (China) six inch taper file for the raker gullets. Turned a handle and made a ferrule and went to filing. File lasted literally two minutes.

John Coloccia
03-01-2012, 7:10 PM
I've started my first attempt at saw filing. It's a three foot crosscut. Picked up a Stanley (China) six inch taper file for the raker gullets. Turned a handle and made a ferrule and went to filing. File lasted literally two minutes.

I started giggling right at "turned a handle" and thought to myself, "Wow, what a waste of time". LOL. FWIW, I've started using dowels for handles, and sometimes even just a layer of heat shrink to make it easier to grip. No ferrule. It only takes a second, and I just toss it in the burn pile when the file is worn. Hopefully you can reuse it on the next one.

brian c miller
03-01-2012, 7:28 PM
The plant in Coleman, AL was moved as part of a "overhead rationalization" project. The files are now made in Soracaba, Brazil or Cali, Brazil, or Thalpenlanta, Mexico.

PM me for more info.

David Weaver
03-01-2012, 8:07 PM
I rationalized their files out of my needs. Hopefully they feel that was rational, too.

Considering that as an individual, i probably buy two dozen a year. Now I'll buy simonds and grobet.

george wilson
03-01-2012, 9:06 PM
It is possible that files from different S. American locations MIGHT be better than the Mexican ones. I just don't need any coarser files right now,or I might try a Brazilian b a s t a r d cut file. I guess I could return it if it was also soft. Here I am,acting like buying a $6.00 file is a big deal!! It's just when I am suspicious that a product is not usable,I don't want to gamble on it,and end up wasting my time and gas on returns. Especially my gas.

Zach Dillinger
03-01-2012, 10:02 PM
It is possible that files from different S. American locations MIGHT be better than the Mexican ones. I just don't need any coarser files right now,or I might try a Brazilian b a s t a r d cut file. I guess I could return it if it was also soft. Here I am,acting like buying a $6.00 file is a big deal!! It's just when I am suspicious that a product is not usable,I don't want to gamble on it,and end up wasting my time and gas on returns. Especially my gas.

No kidding, gas is crazily expensive and is getting worse. I don't want to be wasting gas on junk foreign files.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-02-2012, 8:00 AM
Luckily I can still bike to a couple of hardware stores. But I'm not wasting food energy on junky files either . . .

robert dankert
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I started giggling right at "turned a handle" and thought to myself, "Wow, what a waste of time". LOL. FWIW, I've started using dowels for handles, and sometimes even just a layer of heat shrink to make it easier to grip. No ferrule. It only takes a second, and I just toss it in the burn pile when the file is worn. Hopefully you can reuse it on the next one.

Yea, looking back on it, I thought it was pretty funny. Luckily, I didn't make a special trip to get it. The handle went on another file.