PDA

View Full Version : My Updated Router Table

Brian Dennis
03-01-2012, 1:24 PM
I started this project with the New Yankee router table design and changed it to fit me. The case is made of birch plywood, the drawer fronts are cherry with walnut trim and the top is also trimmed in walnut. The table is at elbow height which is 40” for me. I find this height gives me more control and saves my back. I dispensed with the acrylic door and left the back of the router compartment open. The small amount of chips that get past the dust port on top can just be swept out. I made it portable with two wheels on the right side and I use the "tow bar" from my mobile band saw to move it around. The switch is from Rockler.

Paul Cahill
03-01-2012, 4:03 PM
Very nice. What finish for the cherry?

Paul

Bob Lloyd
03-01-2012, 4:17 PM
Nice job! I noticed that you have more large drawers than on the New Yankee Workshop design. Nice idea, if ever I get to build one I could never see me filling up six drawers with bits.

Brian Dennis
03-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Paul, I used several coats of hand rubbed Danish oil.

Bob, Thanks...Yes, I don't think I will be running out of space for bits soon. I am surprised at how fast my drawers are filling up with other routers and accessories!

Larry Browning
03-02-2012, 2:19 PM
How do you like that Triton router? I recently built a NYW table and put the Triton in it. It is a monster! but I love it. I really like the height adjustment on it.

Jay Jolliffe
03-02-2012, 3:41 PM
Nice router table. Do you have vent holes to let the dust collector suck air through to cool the router.....I tried mine without holes & the motor got really hot so I drilled holes at the bottom of the plexiglass & that seemed to work but I think the heat damaged the speed control on the router or it just died on it's own....Nice job...

frank shic
03-02-2012, 3:45 PM
how did you construct the top? almost too pretty to be used ;)

Tony Shea
03-02-2012, 4:15 PM
Nice router table. Do you have vent holes to let the dust collector suck air through to cool the router.....I tried mine without holes & the motor got really hot so I drilled holes at the bottom of the plexiglass & that seemed to work but I think the heat damaged the speed control on the router or it just died on it's own....Nice job...

If you go through his post again I believe he said he did away with the plexiglass door all together and just left it open to the air. If building this project I would take the same approach as the amount of extra work involved in this step doesnt seem to be worth it. I also can just sweep or vaccum the chips left down there when done routing.

Jay Jolliffe
03-02-2012, 5:34 PM
I made nine interior raised panel doors & the chip collector hooked up to the router table was a big help. I filled the bag in no time doing the panels.....

Brent VanFossen
03-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Nice job and very attractive. You've matched all the drawer fronts so the grain flows nicely.

Brian Dennis
03-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Tony is right; I left the router area open. I found that with my main DC hooked up there is very little dust that lands in this area. Also it's a great place to stage the pieces I am working on.

Frank, the top is made from 3/4" and 1/2" MDF with a laminate top trimmed in walnut.

Brian Dennis
03-03-2012, 10:12 AM
I really like the Triton router. Plenty of power and easy to change bits and adjust the height.