PDA

View Full Version : Sander Gloat

Jerry Clark
03-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I finally got a drum sander-- Performax 16-32 it is five years old and only used one time-- with stand, out feed tables and casters. I had to tune it as the drum was not aligned-- works good. :)

Boyd Gathwright
03-22-2005, 10:30 PM
.... Looks decent, Jerry.

Good luck with it ;).

Boyd

I finally got a drum sander-- Performax 16-32 it is five years old and only used one time-- with stand, out feed tables and casters. I had to tune it as the drum was not aligned-- works good. :)

chris toomey
03-23-2005, 7:14 AM
i'm soooooo jealous!

Doug Shepard
03-23-2005, 7:42 AM
Jerry
You've got the exact same one I have - except what's that white thing coming out of the dust port? PVC?

One thing I did with my mine that has come in handy - I was running out of room to store all the little boxes of sandpaper rolls. I built a simple hinged lid box of 1/2" plywood and hung it between the legs under the table. The newer units all seem to have an open shelf down in that area. The bottom of my box is just 1/4" hardboard resting on cleats, but if I had to do it over again I'd use the perforated hardboard. Even hooked up to the vac for DC, I get a tiny bit of dust falling through the crack on the lid. It's minimal and I can clean it out if I remove everything and push the bottom out from below, but the perf board would let it fall right through.
The box justs hangs from some wood crosspieces that span the shorter side openings between the legs. It was pretty simple to make. You just need to spend some time planning it out so that the lid clears the legs on the sides, and has enough room at the top to completely open.
If you think it's something you might want to do, let me know and I'll get a pic this weekend.

Corey Hallagan
03-23-2005, 8:19 AM
Nice snag on that one! Great tool, have fun!

Corey

Jim Becker
03-23-2005, 9:31 AM
I never thought I'd get so much utility out of a drum sander until I bought one. Congratulations on your find! A good deal and a good tool.

Jerry Clark
03-23-2005, 9:34 AM
That is a good idea Dug-- I think I will do that. The white piece is PVC and was attached when I bought it. Even better the price for this $450! I was going to buy a new one this week and saw this in the Recycler! Thanks for your comments.

Doug Shepard
03-24-2005, 3:00 PM
OK - got some pics of the storage box taken today. This was just slapped together out of scraps I had laying around and without much planning. You could probably put something better together if you actually spent some time on design. With the box closed I tend to also use it as a shelf for boxes of osc. spindle sander sleeves.

Boyd Gathwright
03-24-2005, 6:41 PM
.... Doug, That's making good use of the available storage area. I like that and it looks nice ;).

Boyd

OK - got some pics of the storage box taken today. This was just slapped together out of scraps I had laying around and without much planning. You could probably put something better together if you actually spent some time on design. With the box closed I tend to also use it as a shelf for boxes of osc. spindle sander sleeves.

Jim Becker
03-24-2005, 8:06 PM
Doug, if the verison you have (since it's an older machine) has the smaller 2.5" dust port, you may want to consider upgrading it to a 4" port. That can be done either by ordering the part, making a new hood (as Dizzy did (http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/performax.html)) or modifying the existing hood. The extra airflow is a good thing.

Jerry Clark
03-24-2005, 8:42 PM
Thanks Doug, In addition to the extra storage it will lower the center of gravety and make it more stable! I will build one soon!:D Also look into the dust port modification. Thanks Jim.

Doug Shepard
03-25-2005, 8:20 AM
Doug, if the verison you have (since it's an older machine) has the smaller 2.5" dust port, you may want to consider upgrading it to a 4" port. That can be done either by ordering the part, making a new hood (as Dizzy did (http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/performax.html)) or modifying the existing hood. The extra airflow is a good thing.

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it for possible future use. Right now my "DC" is a large DeWalt shop-vac and the 2.5" fits just right. If I can ever figure out where to put a true DC setup, I think I'll probably do the mod.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-25-2005, 8:29 AM
Congrats on the sander! I have had my eye out for a used one for a LONG time! :)