PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Vessel with guildied rim for a gift

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-01-2012, 9:38 AM
Here's a small walnut vessel I made as a gift for a co-worker that gave me a small walnut tree from his front yard. I haven't given it to him yet as it is on display at a local library as part of a turning display sponsored by our local turning club. I think he'll like it when he gets it.
It is 11 1/4" tall X 4 1/2" dia. turned to about 1/8" thick. Finished with cooper acrylic paint & gloss varnish, & guilded rim.

Critiques & comments welcome.225845225846

steven carter
03-01-2012, 9:42 AM
Very nice Joe! I am sure your co-worker will appreciate this. I really like the gilded rim.

Steve Vaughan
03-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh, that is nice! He's gonna love it, I can guarantee it! Nicely done and I love the guilding.

John Keeton
03-01-2012, 11:10 AM
I love the vessel, but a close up of the rim treatment would be really nice!

Bill Bolen
03-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Gorgeous piece Joe! Makes me want to go cut down one of my Walnuts and send it your way in hopes of getting a piece like this back!!:D

Doug Herzberg
03-01-2012, 3:03 PM
Very cool wood grain. Form is great, love the gilding. +1 on close up of rim.

Josh Bowman
03-01-2012, 3:21 PM
Really like the shape. The co-worker will be very pleased.

Michael E. Thompson
03-01-2012, 4:17 PM
Wood is beautiful. Nice finish too.

Cory Norgart
03-01-2012, 5:37 PM
Now that is spectacular,,,, I really like the form,, and being tall is a plus.... Nice job..

Bob Bergstrom
03-01-2012, 6:53 PM
That's a beaut Joe. Like the tall slender form., it seems to accentuate the lighter sap wood. Well executed and and displayed.

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-01-2012, 8:33 PM
I love the vessel, but a close up of the rim treatment would be really nice!
Sorry John but I didn't think of taking a close up pic of the rim. The piece went on display at a local library yesterday where it will stay until the 1st week of June. From there it's going directly to it's new owner so I doubt I'll get a chance to take any more pics. I'll try to remember to take a rim close up the next time I guild one. Not sure when that will be But I'm sure I'll be doing more at some point as I like the look on this piece.
Thanks for looking.

Kathy Marshall
03-01-2012, 8:43 PM
Very nice Joe! Your co-worker is going to love it!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-01-2012, 8:54 PM
Gorgeous piece Joe! Makes me want to go cut down one of my Walnuts and send it your way in hopes of getting a piece like this back!!:D

Thanks Bill. But you better be careful around these parts saying you've got walnut trees.:eek: I think there's a lot of chain saws among the creekers that hang out here.

Roland Martin
03-01-2012, 9:09 PM
Great form and finish Joe, and it sure is tall:eek:

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-01-2012, 9:30 PM
Great form and finish Joe, and it sure is tall:eek:
Thanks Roland. But seriously this is a small vessel for me. I do a lot of pieces much taller than this one. Some up to 30 plus inches tall.

Michelle Rich
03-02-2012, 7:49 AM
it's a beauty

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2012, 10:02 AM
That is a beauty Joe. Co-worker will love it.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Very nice vase Joe! I like how the gilt highlights the edge of the rim while maintaining the natural colors! This is going to make a wonderful gift!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-02-2012, 4:26 PM
Thanks everyone for looking at my work & your comments are always welcome, good or bad I like to know what others think. Joe

David DeCristoforo
03-02-2012, 4:34 PM
Sweet. Esp. in the second pic. The gilded rim is a very nice touch...

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-02-2012, 4:38 PM
Sweet. Esp. in the second pic. The gilded rim is a very nice touch...

David Thanks for looking & your comments

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-03-2012, 6:48 PM
Very nice Joe! Your co-worker is going to love it!
Thanks Kathy. I told my co-worker I put his piece in a exhibit at the library & he couldn't have it until June. I hadn't showed him any pic's of it so he went to the library to to see it. He said it's the 1st time he'd gone to a library since he was in school ( about 20 yrs). He came back to work very excited & can't wait to get it home. The land his house is on was a lot from his late fathers farm, so were the the wood came from means a lot to him too.

Mark Hubl
03-03-2012, 7:04 PM
Nice Joe. Looks really good. You and Steve planning any trips to one of the Chicago area meetings any time soon?

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-03-2012, 9:26 PM
Nice Joe. Looks really good. You and Steve planning any trips to one of the Chicago area meetings any time soon?

Thanks Mark. We talk about wanting to come up from time to time but some how just don't seem to make it. We both want to though. It does make for a long night. We usually don't get back home until midnight to 12:30 or so & I some times have to get up for work by 4:30 am. We love to see a car load of you guys come down to the Quad Cities to one of our meeting & see our Club some time too. I know Bob Bergstrom would like to come down some time too.
Steve & I are doing a hollowing demo together at our March meeting in a couple of weeks.
We also have David Nittman coming later this month. Should be a good time forr our club.

Tom Hamilton
03-04-2012, 6:11 PM
Joe, thanks for posting the beautiful walnut piece. Like your other critics, I am unable to offer suggestions for improvement. It's all good!

I am interested in the gilding process. Can you/would you please explain how you do this?

Thanks, Tom, in Douglasville, thinking gilding would really be a cool addition to the turning repertoire.

Joe Meirhaeghe
03-04-2012, 8:48 PM
Joe, thanks for posting the beautiful walnut piece. Like your other critics, I am unable to offer suggestions for improvement. It's all good!

I am interested in the gilding process. Can you/would you please explain how you do this?

Thanks, Tom, in Douglasville, thinking gilding would really be a cool addition to the turning repertoire.
Thanks Tom. 1st I am not an authority on gilding by any means. But here's how I do it.
1st. I build the finish with as many coats as needed to completly fill the grain to make for a very smooth surface.
2nd. I lightly sand that surface with either 600 or 800 grit paper just enough to dull the surface.
3rd. I apply a sizing to where I want the leaf, let it set a few minutes until there is just a light tac
4th. apply the leaf very carefully using tweezers to pick it up with.
5th. Lightly rub the leafs backing paper to get a good bond.
6th. I lightly roll the leaf in place with a wall paper seam roller. I cover the roller with latex cut from the finger from a latex glove.
Hope this helps.