PDA

View Full Version : OT- Herbicide; one that works

Phil Phelps
04-26-2003, 9:20 PM
Anyone remember back, in the days when products worked, there was something a farmer would wipe on a vine, or brush, and it would kill it, dead? I have a vine that I've been trying to get rid of for over twenty years. It has no end. I've pulled and tugged runners forever, and I can't get rid of it. I've chased a runner three feet deep and gave up. Once upon a time there was something that worked. If anyone remembers it, I'd appreciate it. If they don't sell it, (you know they don't ), I'll find a chemist that will mix it. Just need to know what the stuff was. :(

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-26-2003, 9:47 PM
Phil, have you tried a good systemic type Herbicide? To effectively kill the entire plant and root system, you will have to use a systemic type herbicide...........which means that the product is sprayed on the foliage of the target plant, and it is absorbed thru the plant system and kills the entire plant. Some herbicides just knock down the foliage, but do nothing to the root system. You need a good Glyphosate-Based Herbicide.......the most recognizable name in Glyphosates is Roundup, from Monsanto. You can find it at any Garden Center in most stores.........Home Depot, Walmart, Etc. There are several formulations of Roundup, and you want to make sure you get the concentrate, not the ready to spray formulation. The "Good Stuff" costs about $25.00 a quart, but it only takes a couple of ounces per gallon. Mix at least a 3% to 4% solution and spray the foliage to the point of runoff. The instructions with the product will show several spray concentrations, depending on the target pest. Roundup takes 7 to 10 days to work, but it will kill whatever vine you are dealing with. Tougher species may need a retreatment, such as Kudzu Vine, which is very hard to get rid of. There is also a product that you can brush on the stump to keep the problem weed/tree from coming back once it is cut down. If memory serves me, one brand name of this product is Tordon. You can also check at a Farm Supply Store, sometimes they are better at solutions for getting rid of pesky brush that most Garden Centers. Good Luck!

Ken Garlock
04-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Phil, I picked up a quart of the real thing at Wal-Mart, but it was about $32. The label says it is the strongest available at 41% Glyphosate. Be careful, it kills everything it lands on. Remember it does not kill overnight, it takes about 4-7 days or more to do the job.

Has anyone ever grown a lawn out of Johnson Grass:confused::(

Paul Kunkel
04-26-2003, 11:06 PM
:( AGENT ORANGE:( Killed every thing around including some GI's

Bud Duffy
04-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Phil the hiway department around here uses a product called Landmaster by monsanto its a mix of 2-4-D and Roundup and its about half of the price, it knocks the snot out of everything it touches. Tordon and a bunch of the other good stuff are now restricted use products and you have to have a licence to buy it now. Good luck with whatever you use .

Bruce Page
04-27-2003, 1:40 AM
Phil,
I’ve had good results with Ortho’s Triox. As Kevin said, you have to spray the foliage for it to be effective. It costs about $25 a gallon and you mix it with water. You need to be careful while applying – any overspray will kill anything it touches.
You should be able to find it at your local big box.

Bruce

Paul Wood
04-27-2003, 7:37 AM
Phil I had a particularly toublesome Trumpet vine. That sucker was all through my lawn and on it's way to my neighbors yard. I cut the vine about 1 foot from the ground and drilled a 1/2" hole in each of the stems and poured in some Brush B Gone. Each traveller I found I put some on the leaves and continured to do that until it no longer grew. The whole process took 1 summer but I haven't seen any sign of it for 2 years. I hope you can still get it south of the border, our Politicians managed to get it banned in Canada, which is what they seem to do with anything that works. Hope this helps
If it moves salute, it if it doesn't paint it, and if it something that works ban it

Malcolm Timbers
04-27-2003, 7:39 AM
Triox is good but only if you are lucky to get a fresh jug of it. If it sits around on the store shelf or if it is from last's year's unsold stock, it won't kill anything. So you are gambling with you money when you buy that stuff and you better be prepared to use it all up in a hurry or you will only be throwing your money away.

Rob Glynn
04-27-2003, 9:02 AM
Roundup works best on vigorously growing plants. We use it on ki kuyu grass that attempts to invade our place from next door where Dumbo has it as a lawn. We spray it in the first warm weather after winter ends when it starts to spread through the fence.
It takes a little time, a week or so, to get into the plant's system but it does the job.
Be careful. You don't want that stuff on your skin and you don't want to inhale the fumes.

Angelo Schembari
04-27-2003, 9:29 AM
When I worked for a tree company I used Tor-Don RTU as a stum treatment. Never had ANYTHING grow back after treating with that. Cut the vine and treat the end or just wet the leaves. Might be hard to find as it only comes in commercial strength (need a license) I think.

Roundup pro not diluted also works well.

Phil Phelps
04-27-2003, 9:48 AM
I appreciate your response, fellows. But I'm dealin' with a serious vine. Can grow down way over three feet. (I've never found the end.) Crawls under the St. Augustine grass thirty feet and shoots upward. Nerver found the beginning. I've used Roundup, Wipe Out, Brush be Gone, all that stuff. You bet it has to be systemic, but nothing touches this monster. I've even gathered a portion and let it grow as if I'm raising tomatoes. Nice bush. Then sprayed it. It kills on contact, but it continues to grow. I can reach a tuber and see it split to several and grow on. Paul is close to the Agent Orange. I know these old time farmers had a product in the 50's that would kill any vine. Simply brush it on a portion of the vine and it worked through the vine and killed it all. Incidentally. Round Up doesn't do well on broad leaf. At the shop, I mix Round Up concentrate with Brush B Gone and a little detergent. Kills to the ground for six weeks. Someone out there knows, I'll keep readin'. Thanks guys. :confused:

Lee Schierer
04-27-2003, 12:43 PM
The folks that make roundup, also make a version for killing treees and other woody plants. It works. I just sprayed some round up a couple of days ago and the grass is already yellowing.

Kevin Gerstenecker
04-27-2003, 2:18 PM
Roundup does do well on broadleaf weeds, it's just that some weeds have a waxy coating on the foliage thats limits the effectiveness of the Herbicide. That is why some Ivy's seem to be immune to the product. The US Dept. of Ag. and the EPA have limited the good stuff in recent years, but there are still some very effective Herbicides available. One of the best, Hyvar and Hyvar XL was outlawed years ago. This chemical was a soil sterilant, and NOTHING would grow for years where this stuff was sprayed, but boy did it kill stuff dead. Most of the outlawed pesticides have a long soil activity rate, and that is why they are gone from the shelves. Kinda like Chlordane, the best Termiticide they ever came up with. Had a soil activity rate of somewhere around 25 years, or more. As soon as they figured out it moved thru the soil and into the water table, streams and ponds, it was GONE! They still don't have a Termiticide that is as effective. The only reason Roundup is still around is that the active ingredient, Glyphosate, neutralizes when it comes in contact with the soil.

Stan Smith
04-28-2003, 1:23 PM
This thread is really interesting. There are 3 plants here that are hard to get rid of: Himalayan blackberry, pyrcantha, and live oak. To kill the pyracantha I had to get Brush Buster and paint it on a freshly cut stump directly out of the bottle. It will kill live oaks with spraying but you have to spray 3-4 times. The blackberry? Haven't found anything that totally kills that yet. Be careful with brush buster; It is potent. Don't breath it or get any on yourself.