PDA

View Full Version : Spring has Sprung - Again

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2012, 8:52 AM
Welcome, March, to beautiful Savannah. Today's high will be 79, with a high tomorrow of 82. Dogwoods and azaleas are already in full bloom, and the pine pollen is piling up on my car. This is earliest I can remember dogwoods blooming. Heaven only knows what the Augusta National will do this year with everything blooming so early. What's it like elsewhere in the wide world?

Dave Anderson NH
03-01-2012, 9:20 AM
Spring has sprung in NH too (NOT). After a winter with our biggest snowstorm of 12" occuring Halloween weekend and only having had about 6" from November through yesterday in the southern part of the state we are getting dumped from last night through today. With official Spring only 3 weeks away it's a winter wonderland with about 6-7" so far and another half dozen to go before the storm ends tonight. If this is the last storm it will still be the most snowless winter I've ever seen in my life except for my 13 months in Vietnam some 43 years ago. Up here, smart folks don't put plants in the ground until after Memorial Day to avoid a late killing frost.

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2012, 9:23 AM
My dad always (unless the ground is too wet) gets his potatoes in the ground around Valentine's day. I'm sure he's already planted his garden by now.

charlie knighton
03-01-2012, 10:08 AM
daffodils are coming up, in fact they were up two weeks ago when we had our 1 snow which was pretty much gone the next day, yard crews are putting fertilizer down but grass really has not started yet

Anthony Whitesell
03-01-2012, 10:16 AM
...and in the north east the snow is falling and in New Hampshire the power is out.

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 10:25 AM
In southern Louisiana we had zinnias come up in December and have been blooming ever since. It has been a most bizarre "winter". There were days we needed heat in the morning and A/C at 10 that night. There was a night 7-10 days ago it was chilly the last time I was outside and the next morning at 6am it was shorts and t-shirt weather,

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Welcome, March, to beautiful Savannah. Today's high will be 79, with a high tomorrow of 82. Dogwoods and azaleas are already in full bloom, and the pine pollen is piling up on my car. This is earliest I can remember dogwoods blooming. Heaven only knows what the Augusta National will do this year with everything blooming so early. What's it like elsewhere in the wide world?

Gee Belinda, sorry to hear about your lousy weather, we have snow, glorious snow today! Trees look beautiful.

Regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2012, 11:07 AM
While we were unable to attend a class in Spokane just last Saturday due to whiteout conditions that caused a school bus and multi-vehicle accident, here in the valley a couple thousand feet lower in elevation, it's been pushing 50 and sun shining.

Matt Meiser
03-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Yesterday morning I left Columbus at 9AM and it was 55 degrees. By the time I got to Toledo at about noon it was 40. But that's still pretty warm for the last day of February.

Belinda Barfield
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
In southern Louisiana we had zinnias come up in December and have been blooming ever since. It has been a most bizarre "winter". There were days we needed heat in the morning and A/C at 10 that night. There was a night 7-10 days ago it was chilly the last time I was outside and the next morning at 6am it was shorts and t-shirt weather,

Same here. We had a few nights with lows in the mid 20s one week. The following week it was long sleeves in the morning, wishing for shorts and T-shirt by noon. If it wasn't going to rain on Saturday I'd be seriously considering heading to the beach.

mickey cassiba
03-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Shorts and flip flops here...although the unseasonably wet last few weeks have me mowing almost daily. I so miss a real winter...NOT!

Ben Hatcher
03-01-2012, 2:44 PM
The daffodils are starting to pop up in Columbus. Yesterday got to 71. That sounds warm for February, but not too out of control for March which made me wonder, how do they compare records for leap day? Do they just look at leap days, or compare it to March 1 records as well?

ray hampton
03-01-2012, 5:19 PM
It is so hot here in KY that I turn my A C on but this is the usual weather pattern for the walking day

Larry Edgerton
03-01-2012, 6:27 PM
Six inches of snow this morning. Wierd winter, not at all cold, almost no snow.

I WANT WINTER! Well, not now, but next year I want winter....

Larry

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 7:04 PM
Shorts and flip flops here...although the unseasonably wet last few weeks have me mowing almost daily. I so miss a real winter...NOT!

Just got in from mowing the lawn myself. I actually like this time of year for grass, my St. Augustine grows slow so the errant week pops up above them and I can see them really easy and get them out, plus the wet weather has the soil soft and they come out root and all.

Lee Koepke
03-01-2012, 8:29 PM
windows open and fixin to switch from my work jeans to my work shorts for my shop evenings/weekends!!!

been an odd winter.

David G Baker
03-01-2012, 8:43 PM
Almost T-shirt weather in Mid Michigan, it got up to 39 degrees today. With my thick blood I would be very miserable in 70 degree weather. Big Winter storm yesterday and another one on the way tomorrow night and Saturday with a mix of snow and rain. No sign of Spring so far.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2012, 2:08 AM
We have been having snow at sea level here.

Most of it was well on the way to melting this afternoon.

jtk

Curt Harms
03-02-2012, 9:05 AM
It's been a mild winter in S.E. PA. as well. The snow 2 days before Halloween was pretty hard on trees, they were still leafed out -- lots of branches down, roads blocked, power outages etc. -- but spirea, silver maple & lilacs are starting to leaf out. We've had daffodils on a south facing hill for 2-3 weeks. We had some nights down to 12* after they popped up no damage which surprised me. Other bulbs are greening up as well but slowly. After last winter (about 80" of snow when we normally get around 22") I'm not complaining.

greg lindsey
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Yesterday it was 85 here in Houston, yuck.. even though i'm from here and used to the heat, come'on it's early march, It is looking like it's gonna be a hot summer this year. The friggin mosquito's are already the size of small honey bees and the city is fogging for them already. Last year we couldn't buy a drop of rain,so far this year seems like it has rained everyday. Just saw on the news it's gonna be in the 40's tonight, gotta love this town, it's so true here about not liking the weather just wait a few hrs, it will change.

Brian Tymchak
03-02-2012, 10:13 AM
My lawn is already starting to grow, about 3-4 weeks ahead of schedule, but it really never went completely dormant over the winter either. It actually grew about an inch over December-January. First time I've ever seen that happen. I was going to put the first treatment down on it last weekend, but it was too windy.

Belinda Barfield
03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
The friggin mosquito's are already the size of small honey bees and the city is fogging for them already. Last year we couldn't buy a drop of rain,so far this year seems like it has rained everyday.

We're getting a lot of rain here, too, but we surely need it. This morning I was nearly eaten up by sand gnats walking to my car. Two seasons in Savannah - Summer and Sand Gnats. If it's cool enough to enjoy the outdoors you have to fight the bugs.

Van Huskey
03-02-2012, 11:26 AM
We're getting a lot of rain here, too, but we surely need it. This morning I was nearly eaten up by sand gnats walking to my car. Two seasons in Savannah - Summer and Sand Gnats. If it's cool enough to enjoy the outdoors you have to fight the bugs.

Beats the two seasons here, summer and indian summer.

According to my friend in Detroit, they have two seasons there as well, winter and road repair season.

ray hampton
03-02-2012, 1:41 PM
for everybody with 2 seasons, you need to take up playing golf, they got FORE seasons

David Cramer
03-02-2012, 4:04 PM
Beats the two seasons here, summer and indian summer.

According to my friend in Detroit, they have two seasons there as well, winter and road repair season.

Your friend is right. I am in the tri-county area and some potholes feel like they will swallow you alive. The auto shops really start getting busy this time of year with all of the front end damage. Newstation will soon start asking people to contact them for the worse potholes that they've come across and then the news shows them...seriously.

Pushing 50 today and I am extremely jealous of Brenda and Van although I am also quite grateful that we didn't get the snow that David Baker got...he's in a different snow belt than us:)

David

ray hampton
03-02-2012, 5:19 PM
Your friend is right. I am in the tri-county area and some potholes feel like they will swallow you alive. The auto shops really start getting busy this time of year with all of the front end damage. Newstation will soon start asking people to contact them for the worse potholes that they've come across and then the news shows them...seriously.

Pushing 50 today and I am extremely jealous of Brenda and Van although I am also quite grateful that we didn't get the snow that David Baker got...he's in a different snow belt than us:)

David

thank you David for your post,mine news station have talking non-stop for for over 2 , yes I said 2 hours about tornadoes for my tri-state area and someone said that the storm pick up a section of the blacktop, not sure how wide/long/or deep this pot hole are
it were on the news and this pothole were the width of the street plus about I guess 30 feet long , maybe longer

David Cramer
03-02-2012, 7:37 PM
thank you David for your post,mine news station have talking non-stop for for over 2 , yes I said 2 hours about tornadoes for my tri-state area and someone said that the storm pick up a section of the blacktop, not sure how wide/long/or deep this pot hole are

Sorry Belinda that I said Brenda as I meant you.

Geez Ray:confused:, we weren't talking about tornados nor was I complaining. I light heartedly posted about the size of potholes and that's it. I have family in Paris, Tennessee, but I didn't bring that up.

ray hampton
03-02-2012, 7:51 PM
Sorry Belinda that I said Brenda as I meant you.

Geez Ray:confused:, we weren't talking about tornados nor was I complaining. I light heartedly posted about the size of potholes and that's it. I have family in Paris, Tennessee, but I didn't bring that up.

WELL EXCUSE ME but tornadoes and spring go together hand in hand, do you think that I am complaining ?

anthony wall
03-02-2012, 9:03 PM
well its hovering around the 100 degree mark today but its like that all year apart from a couple of days in mid winter when the temp can plummet to the mid 70s and you definitely need a tee shirt on then. the plants are in flower for most of the year in fact we have one shrub that we planted 5years ago that has been in flower continuously all that time which is strange really as others planted at the same time have a flowering season of around 8 months , the lawn only has to be cut twice a month in winter and strangely once a month in summer but i aren't complaining about that would you? the downside is that my shop is always HOT and of course the occasional flood !!!!

Larry Edgerton
03-03-2012, 4:00 PM
Got about a foot of snow at one house and over my knees at the other[higher elevation], so I have been moving snow all day. -1 tonight......

In like a lion, out like a hippopotamus....

Larry