PDA

View Full Version : finally goning to name one...

Russell Eaton
03-01-2012, 8:42 AM
I was given this piece of wood along with several others by a friend. He found it on the side of the road, it had been laying there long enough for the tree it grew out of to rot. No bark was visible no idea what it is. I think the name should be "Roadkill". That came to me while I was sanding last night. Any wood ID help would be great. It stands about 7"tall and about 4"at the widest point. I was trying for a much different shape but the wood had some bad rot and needed to get turned out. Comments welcome. Russell

John Keeton
03-01-2012, 9:05 AM
Russell, very interesting piece! I like the curve you have on it, and I assume the base will be flat? Whatever the wood is, it has some beautiful character to it - light heartwood with a dark outer area. But, the decay could have had some effect on the color.

Pete Jordan
03-01-2012, 9:17 AM
Nice find!

Looks like cherry burl to me but so does everything.

Russell Eaton
03-01-2012, 9:28 AM
John it does have a flat bottom, it is setting on a scrap piece of poplar so the finish does not make it stick to the box.

Brian Brown
03-01-2012, 9:53 AM
Ok, I want to a the game. I am always wrong on these wood ID's but here goes. Having nothing to go on but the look, I'm thinking that it looks a bit "ashey", so I'll guess some kind of ash. Probably just made an ash of myself. Nice looking piece.

Steve Busey
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Leave it to Russell to turn roadkill into an artform. Well done, sir! It's a beaut!

Dennis Ford
03-01-2012, 12:47 PM
It is a beautiful piece. My guess on the wood species is white oak burl.

Tim Boger
03-01-2012, 2:10 PM
I also think it looks like some sort of Oak.

Nice piece.