PDA

View Full Version : Crazy idea : can I replace the dead Synrad laser in my machine with a Chinese tube ?

Frederic Gagnon
03-01-2012, 8:31 AM
I am the proud owner of an LTT ILS-3NM (Accuris) engraver from 2006 which has died on me recently, at least the laser is dead and can not be repaired. It is a Synrad firestar t60 - 60 watts, air cooled. Since the mechanics of the machine are working fine, is there a way to replace the laser without spending $10,000? I was thinking of installing a glass tube laser and a new power supply. But will that work with the machine motherboard ? Or do I need to strip out all the electronics and put in new boards and run the machine on Mach3 ?? Having built my own CNC router recently, I know a little bit about stepper controllers and such, but is the challenge worth it ?

thanks in advance

Frédéric PARROT
03-01-2012, 9:38 AM
Hello Frédéric,

My LTT 3M 60W from middle 2005 has died last month too. The mechanics of the machine works fine, but the tube is really dead.
I preferred buy a new machine (a Universal 50W) rather than changing the tube (7 to 8000 euros, approximately the same in dollards).
Although the mechanics was still good, she accuses her age and the new machine is newer technologically.
The price of the Universal machine is he price of 2 LTT tubes but the work on the new machine is thinner compared to the work of the old machine. For the 2 I use a lens 1.5 "because I make very small parts for French model railway.

(this is my first post, sorry for my schoolary english).

Another Frédéric,
ARA Production
France

Richard Rumancik
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Frederic: Do you just do vector cutting (no engraving)? I didn't think Mach3 was really suitable for raster engraving but can't say for sure.

It might be easier to buy a complete kit of compatible hardware from China if you want to convert this machine to glass tube. New op panel, power supply, motor drivers, mainboard, etc.

Can you package a 60w glass tube in the width of that machine or would it have to extend out one side?

Frédéric: Welcome to Sawmill Creek . . . don't worry about your English, we can understand you fine. Feel free to post some pics of what you do for the model railroad hobbyists.

Frederic Gagnon
03-01-2012, 1:10 PM
I am already shopping for a new machine, which will probably be a larger, more powerful and definitely Chinese beast. For my defective laser, I just found about the DSP kit from Lightobject. It's an OEM laser controller which comes with a display, keypad, software, and USB communication. It has onboard memory for working in standalone mode.. WOW.. around 600$+laser (300$) so less than $1000 for an upgrade.Seems too good to be true!

Ricahrd: I do both cutting and engraving, and this DSP kit allows the two of them and compatible with Corel...

Mike Mackenzie
03-01-2012, 7:51 PM
Frederic,

Why don't you contact photovac lasers, that synrad is not that old and there should be no reason that photovac can't fix it. They are in Ohio just google photovac lasers.

Frederic Gagnon
03-02-2012, 9:30 AM
Mike,

All I can say is "touché!" ... that,s where I sent my laser for repair three weeks ago. They told me there was a repeated short that caused fatal damages over time, aluminum particle dust all over, etc.. It would cost more to repare than replace. Everyone says thery know what they are doing, so I guess I have to trust them on this.

Richard Rumancik
03-02-2012, 5:23 PM
Frederic - did you ever get a quote from Synrad? It might be worth telling them your story and see what they think. A 5-6 year old tube that is not repairable at all does not seem right, and I would suggest letting Synrad know about it and see if they are willing to do anything for you.