PDA

View Full Version : Texas wood ID help please!

Steve Campbell
03-01-2012, 8:27 AM

Good morning all. I sure could use a little help with this one. A friend brought this back from a back yard in the Austin, Texas area. It's about ten inches in diameter and about ten inches in length. I can barely ID wood from my area. This has me "STUMPED"
Any help would be great.

TIA Steve

Deane Allinson
03-01-2012, 8:52 AM
Not sure about the wood or spelling but it looks like Crepe Myrtle. They get pretty big in south Tx.
Deane

Alan Trout
03-01-2012, 9:31 AM
It could also be Texas Persimmon as its bark also exfoliates like Crepe Myrtle.

Alan

Edward Bartimmo
03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
Alan, I think you mean Texas Madrone, which is smooth and peeling like crepe myrtle. Texas Madrone has some blackish/purple tones to the bark, and the wood is a subdues pink (canned salmon color). Since this was in someone's yard it was most likely planted in it for its flowers. In this case I think it is Crepe Myrtle.

It could also be Texas Persimmon as its bark also exfoliates like Crepe Myrtle.

Alan

Tom Winship
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Deane, crepe myrtle was the first thing I thought of, however, I've never seen the inside of it.

Pete Copeland
03-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Steve,

It does look like crepe myrtle but it would be one of biggest ones I've ever seen. Is it soft?

-Pete

Steve Campbell
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the tips. Pete I don't know yet how hard it is. I haven't cut into it yet. Any more ideas?

Dane Fuller
03-01-2012, 12:41 PM
The coloring looks kinda like lacebark elm but it's too smooth, I think. Crepe Myrtle would probably be a safer bet.

Alan Trout
03-01-2012, 2:05 PM
Yes I was referring to Texas Persimmon which does grow in the Austin area. Here is a picture that I found. They grow a lot like the Crepe Myrtle,They can look like tree or a bush. Here is a photo I found.

I very well could be wrong but just a guess.

Thanks,

Alan

Deane Allinson
03-01-2012, 7:07 PM
Yes I was referring to Texas Persimmon which does grow in the Austin area. Here is a picture that I found.
Thanks,

Alan

I think Alan could be correct. I was raised in Arkansas so the persimmon up there the bark was real dark with deep fissures. I love that wood, it takes a polish like glass.
Is the Texas species as hard? Black heartwood?
Deane

Mark Hix
03-01-2012, 7:53 PM
It looks like Crepe Myrtle. I have some that large in my back yard.

Nathan Hawkes
03-01-2012, 7:57 PM
Your wood looks like crepe myrtle. The "other" persimmon, Diospyros virginiana, with the deeply fissured bark and bearing persimmon fruits, is in the ebony family, hence the small black stripe in the middle and very high polish factor.

Thomas Canfield
03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
The Crepe Myrtle usually has a light wood, even when dried, and not the reddish color here unless that results from the soil. The Crepe Myrtle up in Tyler was white wood even in the red iron sand/clay, fine grain, and hard, and also subject to extreme cracking if cut green.

Bill Boehme
03-02-2012, 3:53 AM
I would vote for crepe myrtle also. It tends to grow in mottes which is what image 1 seems to indicate.

Reed Gray
03-02-2012, 12:48 PM
Well, the bark and outside have the color of the Pacific Madrone, but Madrone has a smooth trunk, not ridged or wavy like that. I was thinking it looked like some Juniper I have seen, but don't really know. Never had any crepe myrtle.

robo hippy

Steve Campbell
03-02-2012, 1:56 PM
Thanks for all the help. I couldn't take it any longer I had to cut it in half. Here is what I found. Any more ideas? Thanks again.

Steve225970225971

Edward Bartimmo
03-02-2012, 3:19 PM
Alan,

Good Call...I stand corrected. I was thinking of wild/common persimmon tree that is found throughout Texas (see attached photos). The bark is rough, dark (almost black) and heavily fissured, and the fruit is unedible until it is fully ripe (almost fermented).

In the case of the Texas Persimmon and Texas Madrone both are similar with peeling black bark outer bark with smooth greyish under bark. Neither of these tree grows very large...small brush/tree with varigated limbs. I actually took a roadtrip to hunt some specimens and everythign I found was no bigger than 6" diameter or smaller.

Due to our climate it is quite common to find crepe myrtles growing in Texas that are +12" diameter. I have seen a couple of crepe myrtles that were approx 24" is diameter with the trunk rippled like a stalagmite.

Edward

Yes I was referring to Texas Persimmon which does grow in the Austin area. Here is a picture that I found. They grow a lot like the Crepe Myrtle,They can look like tree or a bush. Here is a photo I found.

I very well could be wrong but just a guess.

Thanks,

Alan

Dustin Keys
03-02-2012, 3:27 PM
I'm no wood expert, but I've been around those all my life. It's crepe myrtle. I have some that size and a few larger in my backyard.

D

Steve Campbell
03-02-2012, 3:35 PM
OK guys here is a picture of the rough turned bowl.
Thanks again all. Steve

Nate Davey
03-02-2012, 3:59 PM
Sure turned out to be a beautiful piece of wood. Nice job on the bowl as well.

Nathan Hawkes
03-02-2012, 9:14 PM
[QUOTE=Edward Bartimmo;1886692]Alan,

Good Call...I stand corrected. I was thinking of wild/common persimmon tree that is found throughout Texas (see attached photos). The bark is rough, dark (almost black) and heavily fissured, and the fruit is unedible until it is fully ripe (almost fermented).

In Virginia, the trick about eating the fruit is to wait until after the first frost--before then and they will always make your lips pucker up!

Nice looking wood in the bowl.