PDA

View Full Version : Watts Up?

Jared Gaylord
03-01-2012, 6:55 AM
Okay guys and gals so far this forum has been very helpful as far as adivice goes so here IT goes.

I Live in Alaska and i am looking into getting an Epilog Zing 16 yes this will be my first and yes i will be starting a home business so i guess my first question is what is a good device out there that i can plug my Laser Fan and air pump into that will log my Kwh usage so i can pay for what i am using since my roommates were concerned when i told them about my future plans it does no have to have anything special just something that will tell me how many kwh i used in that day or week or month.

Question 2 is of all of you out there and the ones paying attention how much in utilities does it roughly cost you to run your laser throughout the day i know it depends on what your doing but give me a rough estimate if you could.

And question 3 is how many of you own this model and do you have any regrets or advice?

Thanks a bunch folks and i look forward to your input!!! -----Jared G.

Dan Hintz
03-01-2012, 7:00 AM
Check out the P3 Kill-A-Watt... plug your strip into that. You may need more than one as it only supports up to 15A and you'll likely be on the edge of that from time to time (I also don't like plugging pumps/motors into the same circuit as my laser and computer).

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2012, 7:50 AM
I have one of those, and I think it was $19 at Amazon. Unless you are running 8-10 hours a day I think you will
find that you don't add all that much to the electric bill.

matthew knott
03-01-2012, 7:53 AM
Being as you live in Alaska (cold im thinking) you should tell your roomies that pretty much all the power you use is going back into the room to heat it so they should be paying you :)
Cant see it being much power on a zing, post your results up when you find out, On epilogs web site (uk) they recomend a 15amp socket which is masive over kill as we have 220v and a max 13a ratting on our wall sockets. They should really change that on their data sheet to 7amps on 220v

greg lindsey
03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
I can tell you that running one zing won't cost you much to run daily. I run 2- 60w and 2 -25w epillogs, 3 blowers and 2 small compressors 10-14 hrs a day and the cost is around $10.00 a day. According to my electric bill versus days the machines don't run, weekends mostly.

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
If I were your room mate in Alaska, I'd be a little upset with you in the winter months, when you're sucking all the heat out of the room and blowing it outdoors :)

Neil Pabia
03-01-2012, 3:32 PM
I have noticed that my electric bill has only risen about $10 a month and I use my laserabout 20-30 hours a week, the laser barely uses any electric, it is the exhaust blower and the air compressor that use the electric but even they aren't too bad.

Jared Gaylord
03-01-2012, 6:19 PM
Ya I did see the kill a Watt and Watts up they seem to be the choice out there. Also my closest distributor recommended a fan that was from Penn state industries and was 1.5 HP and 800 or so cfm is there a better mate for this laser that you could suggest there does not seem to be much on blowers out there thanks!

Dan Hintz
03-02-2012, 6:40 AM
I would suggest the Harbor Freight "greenie"... $120 (less when sales are happening), plenty powerful for what you're doing.

Keith Outten
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM
We run the Harbor Freight one HP dust collector on our Trotec Speedy 300 at CNU, it has more airflow then you need.