PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 95 part needed

David Bardin
02-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Forgive me but this is the first thread I have posted here.
I have just bought a fine Stanley 95. It is missing the iron cap screw. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement or something threaded that will fit.
225806If that is not possible is it worth trying to re-taping it to a modern thread?

David Posey
02-29-2012, 10:53 PM
St. James Bay Tool Company might have what you're looking for. He doesn't have that particular model listed on the website, but I bet he makes something that will work. If I remember correctly from other threads, it's best to call anyway, because he is slow to respond to emails. Have you tried standard threads in it? Old Stanleys often used odd thread counts, but if it is one of the ones that became standard, that makes your search a good deal easier.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Yours is an early model.

I can check mine out in the shop tomorrow to determine the size and thread of the screw.

Sometimes you can find parts on Stanley's web site. It is just knowing what part will work as a replacement.

jtk

David Bardin
03-01-2012, 8:52 AM
I have a buddie that has one and his set screw for his #271 is the same. That might be a little easier for me to find.

Jim Koepke
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I have a buddie that has one and his set screw for his #271 is the same. That might be a little easier for me to find.

The #271 set screw may be a part still carried by Stanley Parts Dept.

I just checked my #95 and the threads are 28 per inch. The size seems to gauge out at a #9. This doesn't surprise me with some of the things Stanley did to make sure people had to go through them for replacement parts.

Your #95 has a patent date which makes it likely a bit more collectable than mine. At the same time, this is not a real common plane and often elicits a premium because of its usefulness and collectibility. This is the reason my recommendation is for you to do all you can to find a replacement part that doesn't require modification of the original plane.

jtk

David Bardin
03-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Thank you Jim for your time and help.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
If it ends up being the same as any of the various screws in a standard bench plane, and you'd think that would work acceptably, I still have a bunch of parts from a Stanley replacement parts kit - I wanted to replace the one-piece tote screw with the two-piece brass topped one on a plane I was fixing up, and found a good deal on the hole replacement screw kit. If it's a weird thread, and one of these screws will fit, PM me and if I still have the screw in question, I'll send it your way.

David Bardin
03-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Joshua that is a very kind offer. In my endeavors to buy a screw I have found a machinist that is going to make me one. I have sent a picture of the original and he is going to copy it. I will come back and post pictures of the result.

Jim Koepke
03-02-2012, 1:23 AM
Joshua that is a very kind offer. In my endeavors to buy a screw I have found a machinist that is going to make me one. I have sent a picture of the original and he is going to copy it. I will come back and post pictures of the result.

While in the shop today I did find a thumb screw with the same thread but it was a little short. The shank of the screw on my #95 is 1/2".

jtk

David Bardin
03-16-2012, 8:32 PM
The cap has been mailed to almost Canada. I will await its return.

David Bardin
04-14-2012, 12:28 AM
The screw has been made and returned. I live in the deep south and it went almost to Canada. It is a perfect fit. And the plane remained stock. I want to thank all of you that have helped me with this. You are to kind.
a short video

http://youtu.be/YMfQhnv65tY

Brent VanFossen
04-14-2012, 2:02 AM
Very nice. It's great to have friends!