PDA

View Full Version : Sacrificial Top to Workbench and RAS Table

Bob Deroeck
02-29-2012, 8:08 PM
I'm planning on building a temporary workbench using materials on hand and targeting only 2 days for construction. The top would be 3/4" particle board glued to 1 1/8" particle board. I'd like to attach a sacrificial top of 3/16" thick hardboard to the workbench top plus to the top of the table on my RAS.

I'd appreciate suggestions on how to attach the sacrificial top so that it is relatively easy to remove in the future. I don't want to use wood glues since removal would be difficult. Are there any glues that will release at temperatures of say 150-200 F so that I could use a heavy duty hair dryer or a heat gun to release the glue? Would contact cement release at these relatively low temperatures?

If there is no suitable glue, I'll consider mechanical options. One such option is 18 ga brads countersunk 1/16" to provide some protection for plane blades. I'll wide open to other suggestions.

Thanks.

Bob

Neil Brooks
02-29-2012, 8:10 PM
I'd go with counter-sunk brass screws.

Relatively soft, for if (when) you hit them with a blade or a tool.

That's how I installed the sacrificial top on my RAS table. Been very happy with the result.

Good luck !

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 8:15 PM
I'd go with counter-sunk brass screws.

Relatively soft, for if (when) you hit them with a blade or a tool.

That's how I installed the sacrificial top on my RAS table. Been very happy with the result.

Good luck !

That is exactly what I have done in the past.

John Coloccia
02-29-2012, 8:22 PM
I would very seriously consider double sided tape. This stuff, actually:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000848/3905/Double-Sided-Tape-1-x-36-Yards.aspx

Roy Fleming
02-29-2012, 9:00 PM
+1 for the brass screws. Just make sure they are brass and not brass plated steel.

Alan Lightstone
02-29-2012, 9:11 PM
I would very seriously consider double sided tape. This stuff, actually:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000848/3905/Double-Sided-Tape-1-x-36-Yards.aspx

I use that tape a bunch, but it is pretty strong. It can be hard to remove from two panels pressed together without having to pry them apart. YMMV.

Personally, I would use counter-sunk brass screws. Certainly quick and functional.