PDA

View Full Version : Milk Paint

Jerry Thompson
02-29-2012, 7:13 PM
I have a can of already to go milk paint. I am about to delve into paining a pine object d'Art I am about done with. The main thing I am wondering about is what brush to use, how many coats and approx. drying time.
Thank you.

Todd Burch
02-29-2012, 7:58 PM
The term "can" makes me think it's already mixed with water. Did yours come premixed?

Dry time is pretty fast. Depending on the size of your piece, the areas first painted may be dry by the time you finish painting. Purely evaporation.

A brush suited for latex is fine since the medium is water, not oil. I've used foam brushes with success. Don't use Home Depot foam brushes - they are doo-doo. Z-Pro brand and Jenn are both good brands of foam brushes.

Number of coats depends on the opacity desired. 3 coats is typically opaque. Opacity can also be controlled by how you mix the powder with water. 1:1 by volume is a typical mixture. More water = thinner paint.

After your first coat, the little wood hair fibers will be standing at attention - be prepared for that, as it will feel very rough.

Todd

Phil Thien
02-29-2012, 10:31 PM
If your paint came in liquid form (instead of a bag of powder), it is acrylic (latex) paint, not real milk paint. The only similarity is the color palette.

In any case, use any brush suitable for latex.