PDA

View Full Version : Bowls for Beads!

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 6:50 PM
Our turning club has undertaken to sponsor the Beads for Courage program at the UK Children's Hospital, and about a dozen members agreed to turn four bowls this year. That should be sufficient for all new incoming patients.

I am serving as president of the club this year, and I issued a challenge to have the first bowl(s) done by our meeting tomorrow. We will have a representative from the hospital there to describe the program and to also meet the club and have some interaction with the participating members. We also will have a little contest voted on by the members - directors/officers are not eligible for prizes, though.

Since I issued the challenge, I felt I needed to set an example by getting my four done! These are all Big Leaf Maple, rough turned wet, dried in DNA and finish turned. All of them vary a little in size, but are approximately 6.5" wide x 6" tall not counting the knob. The lids are walnut, and the knobs have a walnut inset in the top. The lettering is vinyl, cut on a Cricut machine (compliments of Ms. Keeton!) and applied prior to the finish.

Finish is BLO, shellac, and WOP. Shellac was applied to the inside, then it was painted a light wood tone with WOP applied over the paint for protection.

These aren't the type of work I really enjoy turning, and they certainly aren't "artsy." But, the program is well worth the effort and that made them a joy to turn!! I know several of you have participated in the Beads of Courage program and I applaud your efforts!!

225732 225734 225733

Doug W Swanson
02-29-2012, 7:00 PM
Sounds like a great program, John. Your boxes turned out great!

Jim Burr
02-29-2012, 7:16 PM
That is a healthy box Mr. K...and darn nice of you guys to put some good skill forward for a great cause! You should be proud...any turning for something like that is well worth the effort of us all! Now if I can only get you to make some Pens For Soldiers;);)

Jamie Donaldson
02-29-2012, 7:41 PM
Lookin' good John, and I wonder if your Mrs. would be willing to cut some more lettering for those of us(meaning me for sure!) that are "lettering challenged?" This problem of labeling has been holding me back in this project, and I would certainly be willing to pay a fee for her services, as would other club members I'm sure. I'll have the back of my truck loaded with Walnut blanks to hand out to the club, so see ya' then.

David DeCristoforo
02-29-2012, 7:41 PM
Those are really nice, John. For some reason they make me think of honey.

Steve Schlumpf
02-29-2012, 7:44 PM
John... the boxes turned out really nice!

Great cause and I am happy to hear that you challenged your members to turn for such an event! I will have to bring this to the attention of our turning club. We do not have a Beads of Courage affiliated hospital close to us but believe this is a cause worth the extra effort! Very nice work! Hope you post a few photos of the boxes created by your club. It may just help insight others to participate!

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 7:55 PM
Thanks, guys! Steve, it is my understanding the UK hospital did not have the program either, and one of our members (retired surgeon) made contact and got the ball rolling with them.
...I wonder if your Mrs. would be willing to cut some more lettering for those of us(meaning me for sure!) that are "lettering challenged?"That probably can be arranged! We will need to get some ideas of size - perhaps we can look at what I have and make sure it will work for every one.

For some reason they make me think of honey.Not an accident, David!;)

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 8:33 PM
Special items John............very nice!

John Beaver
02-29-2012, 9:12 PM
Nice John. I like the stepped sides.
For some reason Winnie the Pooh came to mind when I first saw these.

Bernie Weishapl
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Great looking boxes John. I had the same thought that they looked like Winnie the Pooh honey pots. Great cause John.

Dale Bright
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
John, your boxes are great, well done sir!

Dale

Baxter Smith
02-29-2012, 10:44 PM
Great looking honey pots for a great cause John!

Kathy Marshall
02-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Great looking boxes John for a great cause! I'm sure they'll make some kids very happy!

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Nice work John & a big slap on the back for your efforts for a great cause. I always find a personal satisfaction in giving back to good causes.

Dale Miner
03-01-2012, 12:08 AM
John,

A worth cause for sure.

Two things;

I didn't know you were prez this year. Congrats.

It is a shame you don't like doing this type of work. you're good at it.

Nice pots.

Robert Henrickson
03-01-2012, 7:22 AM
Good-looking pots! A matched set. And you filled your quota for the year. I look forward to seeing them tonight.

Michelle Rich
03-01-2012, 7:54 AM
I disagree..they are "arty"..they have a great appearance, & the cute factor is high!! :-) thanks for "doin' good"

Larry Pickering
03-01-2012, 8:55 AM
John, great work, great cause. Your members can lose in this contest and still be winners.

Russell Eaton
03-01-2012, 8:59 AM
A great project John. I am sure they will be well received. Thanks for showing.

steven carter
03-01-2012, 9:40 AM
Nice looking set of lidded bowls. I am sure the recepients will cherish them. It is great that you and your club members are contributing in this great cause!

Robert McGowen
03-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Really nice work for a great cause, John!

Scott Hackler
03-01-2012, 11:44 AM
Nice work John. The Beads of Courage is a great idea. Having participated at SWAT last year I have seen first hand the generosity of turners for this great idea and I will no doubt participate myself from now on. Hat off John for joining the effort. Some lucky children are going to receive some fantastic looking pots.

Jim Underwood
03-01-2012, 12:15 PM
I have to agree with Michelle in that I disagree with your "not artsy" statement. These are very nice! And for a good cause too...

John Keeton
03-01-2012, 3:31 PM
Thanks for all the kind words, and for the support of the program!

Curt Fuller
03-01-2012, 9:44 PM
John, those boxes are really nice. I don't know why you think they aren't very artsy, I think they have a very artsy look. And that's such a good cause. Good on you and your club!.

Robert Henrickson
03-01-2012, 9:45 PM
Saw them in person earlier this evening. They look even better 'in person'.