PDA

View Full Version : Dental Light Question

Josh Bowman
02-29-2012, 6:45 PM
I just bought a dental light from my Dentist. It's a pole mount type, I was wondering if anyone, who has an old dentist light, could share some ideas on mounting it. This one is a pole mount, which means it goes into a pole that's part of the dental chair. I may post pictures later....if this storm lets up!

David DeCristoforo
02-29-2012, 7:37 PM
Just get yourself a dental chair to mount it on. Then you can turn sitting down and you could pivot and recline in all sorts of weird ways and have plenty of light too. Turning is so much more fun when you have cool equipment...

Thomas Canfield
02-29-2012, 7:55 PM
You need to post picture of light for clarification. My old dentist had his light mounted to the ceiling and hung down but was movable pretty much full circle and the light itself had movement in addition to the arm.

In my old shop, I took a floor stand oscillating fan and mounted it to the high ceiling. Think outside the box.

Josh Bowman
02-29-2012, 9:51 PM
:cool:Thanks for the help David:cool:
Anyway here are the pictures of the unit. If anyone has come up with a nifty way to mount this, I would like to see a picture.

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
That is a pretty simple mount Josh, if you have a stud wall that has the studs exposed. First if your lathe is parallel to a wall, you can take a piece of 2x4 and drill a hole to put the mounting into sort of like a mortise and tenon.........drill all the way through to the other side of the 2x4 on the side where the thickness is 1.5 inches, [so the electric cord can go through and not hinder the rotation of the light when you position it]

.....then take about 4 screws and attach the other end of the 2x4 to the stud in the wall at the height you need. I have a similar mount on my swing arm lamp behind my lathe.

Baxter Smith
02-29-2012, 11:35 PM
Congrats on the light! I was sitting in a dentist chair this morning thinking how nice it would be to have one!
I don't know what the OD of the base is but you might find an iron pipe it might drop into. Then screw the pipe into a floor flange that was attached to?????Add an elbow and you could attach the flange to a wall, your lathe etc.

Josh Bowman
03-01-2012, 6:30 AM
Congrats on the light! I was sitting in a dentist chair this morning thinking how nice it would be to have one!
I don't know what the OD of the base is but you might find an iron pipe it might drop into. Then screw the pipe into a floor flange that was attached to?????Add an elbow and you could attach the flange to a wall, your lathe etc.
I'm heading to Lowes today with the measurements. I failed to mention that there is not a wall close to the lathe, so there is my real problem.

Dan Kralemann
03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
A microphone stand my be an answer for a lathe that is away from a wall.

Fred Belknap
03-01-2012, 3:53 PM
Josh I have seen several grinders mounted on a metal post welded to an wheel rim. You might do something like that, it would be movable.

Thomas Canfield
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Josh - You probably should try the drilling a 2x4 to see how much moment the lamp exerts on the base to help determine how much base or mount is required when you get the arm extended. It looks like there may be enough shaft that you could make a hanging base and attach a bearing/lock collar at the end, but I would expect that you would need metal surface (washer minimum) for the lock collar to rotate on.

Rob Platt
03-02-2012, 10:15 AM
You could try a bench grinder stand - $30 at HF. Not sure if the base would provide enough stability for that big arm...

Andy Pogue
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Let us know what you find. I have a similar light, (surgical) bigger and on a rolling stand. However, I would like to get it off of the floor and haven't decided how yet or if I'll sell it and try something smaller. It is sort of like this, nice find for the price.