PDA

View Full Version : Why buy American? Epilog service, for one.

Eric Allen
02-29-2012, 5:47 PM
I got a message today after sending a file on the heels of one that had just finished that said "Y axis disabled". I figured position sensor, so I called Epilog. After a short time on hold, the tech came on and gave me a quick test to see where the failure was. After the test, he had me on hold for something like 45 seconds, took my serial number info, and gave me the options for getting a new motherboard shipped (it's apparently a known glitch). I opted to return the mobo immediately and get them the tracking number in lieu of paying the core deposit and shipping it later since it takes about 10 minutes if you're having a bad day and have a cat helping/supervising to remove the board. Now, here's the kicker. Instead of blaming power surge (I'm on a sine wave UPS with 5 times the laser's max draw, I like overkill), out of warranty (I am), star alignment, or any of the myriad of other things companies seem to do these days, they stood behind the product and OVERNIGHTED me a new board. It's pretty lopsided in business that people rarely acknowledge the good and are quick to chastise, so I think it's that much more important to let people know when one excels. Thanks Epilog!

Maybe this will help someone on the fence about what to buy, it was a brain bender back when we were looking.:)

Oh, I guess they could also have blamed the message I sent the customer just 10 minutes before saying their product would ship today:D
Honestly, has anyone ever had a machine failure working on something personal, or does it only happen on customer products?

Craig Matheny
02-29-2012, 6:21 PM
Only customer items... But with that said I agree Epilog has a great customer service team not only in Colorado but also their reps. I had them one time under warranty that I scratched the lens when cleaning it they sent a new one out at no charge and many other service stories but all above grade and great company. Waiting to buy my second laser latter this year and yes it will be an epilog.

Nigel Morgan
02-29-2012, 7:03 PM
Hi Eric,

How old was your board anyway?

Cheers

Nigel

Tim Bateson
02-29-2012, 7:24 PM
I agree 100%. I bought my laser new/used from a 3rd party, without any warranty. Epilog Support has never hesitated to answer my questions, and in an extremely prompt professional manner.

Eric Allen
02-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Eric,

How old was your board anyway?

Cheers

Nigel

It just turned 5 in January.

Mark Ross
03-01-2012, 9:12 AM
We won't buy anything but Epilog. They just need to hurry up and make a reasonably priced unit that will handle 4' X 8' sheets of acrylic...

Ross Moshinsky
03-01-2012, 9:36 AM
Epilog is a good company. Has nothing to do with them being from America.

Eric Allen
03-01-2012, 1:01 PM
We won't buy anything but Epilog. They just need to hurry up and make a reasonably priced unit that will handle 4' X 8' sheets of acrylic...

I'm looking the other direction, I'd like a reasonably priced galvo fiber yag. I'm not sure which of our requests are more unreasonable:D

John Noell
03-02-2012, 12:53 AM
When my 2nd (!) motherboard appeared to die, not long out of warranty, Epilog had me pay the full amount for the 2nd new one just like the first time. As it turned out, it probably was the buggy Win 7 driver at fault (despite Tech Supports telephone diagnosis), but unlike when the first board died, which they confirmed tested bad upon return, I got no update on the 2nd returned board, just a huge Visa bill for the new one. Did I mention that even though I was told I would have 30 days to return the board (the policy if you are out of the USA) they gave me seven days and then hit me with the core charge? I had asked for more time (which the paper work with the board said they would give you on request) I was told, "No." There is no way to get a package off this island and to Colorado in seven days unless it is hand carried. I did eventually get an apology for the way I was treated. My bank account was unimpressed. My next laser is not likely to be from Epilog.

Rich Harman
03-02-2012, 2:24 AM
What sours my opinion on mainstream lasers is their pricing schemes. A 50 watt mini (12" x 24") will cost roughly $17K. A 50 watt Helix that has 50% more table area will cost about $20K. And then the 50 watt 24" X 36" EXT is about $28K - that $11,000 more to get the large table.

The EXT uses brushless servo motors instead of brushed but other than that the laser tube, power supply, optics, linear encoder, software etc., are the same (or substantially similar) in all three. An extra 6" of Y axis travel and a stand (Helix) should not cost $3,000 - but it's what the market will bear I guess.

I missed by a couple days the opportunity to get a Helix for $12K. I'm sure I would have been happy with it but I do not regret missing the deal. Since I am the type of person who gets some enjoyment out of tinkering with things it would not have been the right choice to spend so much on a mainstream machine that at best, has less that half the cutting area that I do now. 32" x 48" is the standard material size that I use. A mainstream machine that size is waaay out of my price range.

If however, I was not willing to tinker, and I had jobs to do that were mostly engraving, it would make perfect sense to go with a mainstream machine. If the work is there, the cost does not matter so much and there is a great deal of value in not having to be concerned with the inner workings of the machine.

Shenhui's service has been good though. Not overnight of course but better than I was expecting. The really bad thing about Shenhui's machines in my opinion is; if you do not put your own time and effort into the machine, it's performance will be noticeably poorer than a mainstream.