PDA

View Full Version : General Dual Drum Sander

Matt Meiser
02-29-2012, 4:52 PM
I've got my eye on the General International dual drum sander after looking at it at Woodwerks a couple times. I'm wondering how those who have them like them? It looks like a really stout machine. Thinking of picking one up the next time I find a couple grand in the couch (note to self...invite "the Donald" over...)

John Lanciani
02-29-2012, 7:32 PM
I've had mine for about 5 years and I love it. Other than one small weld that broke on the bracket that holds the pressure rollers it has been flawless. (the part was replaced quickly under warranty but I did have to spend about 1.5 hrs installing it) My only wish is that it had a 5 hp motor. If I ever find one for the right price I'll make the swap. I don't baby it, I have an ammeter in line with the outlet it is plugged into and I push the limits of the overload setting in the mag switch. It's not underpowered per se, but it does not have any to spare the way I use it. I use either 60/80 grit or 80/120 grit on the drums, I tried 120/180 a couple of times with unsatisfactory results.

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 7:42 PM
Just for reference their is a Woodmaster 3875 on the Mansfield OH CL for $1,500. It is a single drum but 38" and they are built super stout with a big farm duty 5hp motor. Because they are hook and loop you can put two different grits on the roller if you don't need more than 18-19" of width. Not pushing this one but making the point Woodmaster sanders tend to be very available in the used market, US made and built well.

Matt Meiser
02-29-2012, 7:51 PM
I could have bought a friends Woodmaster 3875 a lot cheaper last year but that's physically a lot larger machine, length and width I think. But I wonder how a smaller 25"-ish one compares?

Van Huskey
02-29-2012, 8:03 PM
I could have bought a friends Woodmaster 3875 a lot cheaper last year but that's physically a lot larger machine, length and width I think. But I wonder how a smaller 25"-ish one compares?

They make a 26" version which is built just as stout, it also comes with a 5hp motor but it isn't as heavy duty as the one on the bigger sanders but it has less drum to run, it only comes single drum. The only thing about the 26" version is I don't see it very often used, it seems the majority of the ones out there are 38" single and double and the occasional 50".

I wan;t trying to hijack the thread, but thw WM sanders always seem to be on CL and they are built so well you rarely have to worry about the being worn out. As for the prices they vary (that one is a 2008 and if clean is priced right) and the big key is what do you get besides the sander. When I got mine I paid more but got 10 full rolls of sandpaper, the WM heavy duty mobile base, infeed/outfeed tables, reversing switch and DRO. The sandpaper alone was worth over $600, he bought all the paper and never even used the 1 roll that comes with the machine! My point is sometimes even of the price seems a little high finding out what comes with it may turn out to be a great deal.

David Kumm
02-29-2012, 8:33 PM
If you are looking at used don't forget the Performax 25x2. Good unit like the WM. No velcro. I like that but haven't tried the WM. If either pops up for a decent price take it. I had one for sale for $750 but spoken for so deals are out there. Dave

Clint Olver
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
I have a 25" General drum sander, great machine. Heavy and solid with a relatively small footprint.

C

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
If you are looking at used don't forget the Performax 25x2. Good unit like the WM. No velcro. I like that but haven't tried the WM. If either pops up for a decent price take it. I had one for sale for $750 but spoken for so deals are out there. Dave

I was skeptical about the H&L but reading owners comments and now my personal observation to me it is a non-issue when it comes to performance, equal to the closed end non-H&L drums and better than the cantilever drums. I do like the no hassle paper change, no bunching ever and the ability to put on two grits at half width, more of a bonus on the 38" and 50" models. I do wish I had a 2 drum 50", you could have about a 24" sander with 80/100/120 and 150 and you could go from milling mark removal to film finish ready without touching the paper.

I only mentioned the WM sanders since there are excellent and there is rarely a time I can't find one within 200 miles of me on CL and there was one close to Matt just for reference.

Alan Schaffter
03-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Two drums are useful, but you waste the second, fine grit drum every time you make more than one pass-

If you ALWAYS make one pass only, dual drums are great- coarse and fine sanding in one pass. But, if and when you make a second pass you hit the work with a coarse grit again first- the finer grit has done you no good on any pass except the last one. Someday, I plan to modify my 24" Griz so only one drum at a time engages the work.

David Kumm
03-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Two drums are useful, but you waste the second, fine grit drum every time you make more than one pass-

If you ALWAYS make one pass only, dual drums are great- coarse and fine sanding in one pass. But, if and when you make a second pass you hit the work with a coarse grit again first- the finer grit has done you no good on any pass except the last one. Someday, I plan to modify my 24" Griz so only one drum at a time engages the work.

You need to find a way to disengage the second drum and return it without having to recalibrate. The key with the second drum is to have it set so the finer grit really just polishes the first rather than removing much stock. It's easy to have the second drum doing too much work. I'm guilty and lazy- they go together. If you get more burning on the second drum you need to readjust. Like every machine in the history of the world, there is a learning curve and they have limits. That is why we need so many. Dave

Alan Schaffter
03-01-2012, 1:09 AM
You need to find a way to disengage the second drum and return it without having to recalibrate. The key with the second drum is to have it set so the finer grit really just polishes the first rather than removing much stock. It's easy to have the second drum doing too much work. I'm guilty and lazy- they go together. If you get more burning on the second drum you need to readjust. Like every machine in the history of the world, there is a learning curve and they have limits. That is why we need so many. Dave

With my mod both drums will continue to rotate, but instead of the drums and their bearing blocks being mounted to a fixed steel frame like they are now, mine will be mounted to pivoting arms (teeter totters)- so only one drum will contact the work at a time. The pivot point will be located between the drums. A 1/4" or less is all that is needed for the unselected drum to clear the work. Two or four small, double acting pneumatic cylinders running on shop air and controlled by a solenoid air valve like my autogates will actuate the tilt. There will be adjustable pads under each end of each arm (leveling screws) so I will be able to easily and independently micro-adjust both the working height and L-R tilt of each drum. With so little movement the current dual belt pulleys should be fine as they are. I have it all figured out, I just need the time to do it. :)

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 1:52 AM
I have to wonder if it wouldn't be easier to use longer belts between the pulleys and add a quick tension system that would basically allow the second drum to freewheel. One wouldn't have to worry about the precision in the system that reregisters the drum.

Further, does the Grizzly not allow independent control of the drums?

Mike Wilkins
03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
I have the Woodtek 25" machine from Woodworker's Supply, which is basically the same machine. If you take a look at the 25/26 inch dual drum sanders, you will not find much difference, other than paint job and configuration of the base cabinet. I love mine. It is nice taking boards from the planer to the sander and end up with a surface ready for the random orbit sander.
One word of advice: Refrain from using it to sand southern yellow pine. The heat from the drum will cause the resins in the wood to gum up the paper. Removing this pitch is similar to bench pressing an elephant-difficult. Did not affect the first drum with the coarse paper, but the 2nd drum had to be replaced. This was the first board I ran as a test of a new machine. Great lesson!!!!

Matt Meiser
03-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Yeah, that does look like the same machine. The Grizzly seems to be different and rather un-refined when I looked at it compared to the General. Then again maybe the General just has a prettier cabinet.

I'd probably buy from Woodwerks because I could pretty easily run down there and pick it up--but free delivery from Amazon is quite tempting too.

Gregory King
03-01-2012, 1:27 PM
Again guys, remember the General International is the import brand and the General is the Canadian made. The price will reflect that. Even still, we have some of each in my workplace and both seem closely related. Can't go wrong in either direction. Greg

Van Huskey
03-01-2012, 5:32 PM
General doesn't make any wide belt or drum sanders in Canada anymore, do they?

I know most people also know this but FYI for those that may not. Thw Woodmaster sanders are made in the US, and for a domestic made machine doesn't carry that huge of a price penalty.

Matt Meiser
03-02-2012, 2:50 PM
I just learned that Delta will also be releasing a dual drum sander like the GI unit in April which means that by the time I'm ready to buy, it might be available. If they sell it at an attractive price and continue with the rebates, it might be something to consider.

Van Huskey
03-02-2012, 3:08 PM
I just learned that Delta will also be releasing a dual drum sander like the GI unit in April which means that by the time I'm ready to buy, it might be available. If they sell it at an attractive price and continue with the rebates, it might be something to consider.

That reminds me, I saw a Jet double drum at the 2010 IWF that had a very cool digital displays for the height of the front drum and the differential to the second drum, allowing what should have been very precise adjustment but it never materialized.

Video if anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0HxsOTjSzc

Gregory King
03-02-2012, 7:13 PM
Taking my best guess, I would say the GI and the Grizzly would rate about the same on quality. Mind you, I don't own a Grizzly. At least not yet. But certainly thinking strongly about it after seeing some great pricing. My guess is based solely on what I have read so far and from the comments from you folks who own them. Pros and cons. Greg

Matt Meiser
03-04-2012, 9:06 AM
Well, the other thing I was kicking around was that maybe I should just buy a good open-end drum sander and 1/2 the cost and floor space. I currently have a Ryobi which is decent, but a little too flexible for my tastes. Yesterday I went to Woodcraft and noticed they had the Jet (former Performax) on display so I was checking that out and I was really impressed how much more rigid the frame is than the Ryobi. Then John, my pusher...err...I mean friendly local Woodcraft store owner told me about the 15% off which officially was starting in a week, but he could do it now and had one in stock, even the tables and .... well, now I need to get it put together.

The General I'm sure is a great machine, haven't really found too much negative other than John's warranty issue and wish for more power. But its also surely way more machine than I need. And in theory a 16/32 machine gives me more capacity than I could get with a closed-end 24" machine.

Van Huskey
03-04-2012, 9:38 AM
Before I opened this I saw you were the last poster and my gut said it was a pre-gloat post, I wasn't wrong BUT I didn't expect the particular machine! I think you will be happy, most people are with those, best of breed in that size range.

CPeter James
03-04-2012, 9:48 AM
I have the GI double drum sander and I sold the Performax 25X2 when I got this one. The GI is a nice machine and while there is a learning curve to any drum sander, once you conquer it, they do a good job. I have mine tuned to about .003" side to side. As far as the digital readout on the machines, I would be interested in knowing how accurate they were. I installed a digital readout on my Performax and found that it only read in .005" increments and that was +/- some as well. I use a dial caliper and find that it is much easier and much more accurate. The relationship between the two drums is critical!! I have purchased two of the GI sanders used (one was for a friend) and both had had very little use (one board) and the reason was because they were badly out of adjustment. Fine tuning is important. Get it set up correctly before you start and it will serve you well. Actually, this goes for any machine. Very few (Sawstop, maybe?) are dead on out of the box.

CPeter