PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear Haul [gloat] - soliciting some ideas, please?!

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
These are two of about 10 pieces [new to me] of Bradford pear [some pieces are larger than these two] I got from a neighbor who is also a turner [thanks Bruce!] and they are sitting on my newly refurbished wood hauler...........which I just got the restoration completed yesterday.

This wood hauler is 15 years old and runs and looks new, [inside and out] and has a newly sprayed in bed liner. Some of the Bradford pear pieces are larger than these two..........asking suggestions on what your ideas are on forms from these...........I was thinking a vase or two and perhaps some lidded boxes.........what say you?

We just had thunderstorms roll through so everything is wet, and perhaps does not show everything in the best light but you get the idea............

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 12:25 PM
A subtle, yet clear gloat on the beautiful restoration job, Roger! Just enough turning information to keep it legit.;) I have a very similar 2004 wood hauler that is silver in color. The only drawback is the V8 gets about 15 mpg on a good day with a tail wind.

No help on the pear - I have some in the barn that I will turn someday.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Did you only show two pieces to demonstrate Bradford pair?? Sorry, couldn't resist. Good job on the truck. We have a Dodge about the same vintage 1996, that we still use here to plow snow. It doesn't look nearly as good but works well. You'll like turning BP.
faust

Tony De Masi
02-29-2012, 1:12 PM
The truck is a bit different than the last time I saw it. Looks great Roger. As for the BP I've had good luck and some so so luck with it. Recent work I've done with it I've had to chase the cracks in it so it was kind of a pain. But I've had some in the past in which I've had no issues. It turn very nice though. As for what you've got there you certainly could do some vases, goblets, boxes, ring holders, all kinds of neat things.

Steve Vaughan
02-29-2012, 1:31 PM
Looks like a fine job on the truck, looks really nice. But there's a scratch right th...oh, no, I'm just seeing it wrong! Looks good. And that's a fine job on getting some BP. I'd say a few hollow forms? If you can keep it from cracking up, that stuff really looks nice with an oil finish, maybe a lacquer overcoat. It cuts nice, and sands really, really smooth!

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 1:54 PM
The truck is a bit different than the last time I saw it. Looks great Roger. As for the BP I've had good luck and some so so luck with it. Recent work I've done with it I've had to chase the cracks in it so it was kind of a pain. But I've had some in the past in which I've had no issues. It turn very nice though. As for what you've got there you certainly could do some vases, goblets, boxes, ring holders, all kinds of neat things.

Thanks Tony........it is a bit better looking now than when you saw it...........now, when I get to make a DAMP meeting, I won't have to hide my face in shame when I park beside your nice red F-150! :o:D

Bill Bolen
02-29-2012, 2:05 PM
Can't go wrong with a Dodge! Great restoration! I love turning BP but it will crack and move early on without the proper care. If green ne bowls are a great choice.

Doug Herzberg
02-29-2012, 8:37 PM
Looks like the body shop made good on their boo boo. Hope you get many more years of service from the truck. I would have expected it to have a bigger payload, though.

John Beaver
02-29-2012, 9:14 PM
As others have said. The BF will crack and move a lot. Dry with care.

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 9:18 PM
Looks like the body shop made good on their boo boo. Hope you get many more years of service from the truck. I would have expected it to have a bigger payload, though. Yeah Doug, the haul of Bradford pear was about 10 pieces..........it was already offloaded when it occurred to me to post a "finished" piece :rolleyes: and the guys at the body shop did a super job........they forgot to hook up the wiring for one of the front signal lights, but I took it back and they got everything working properly. With the truck clean and not having all that rain on it, it has a showroom finish and looks like it did when I first got it new. On the pics you will notice it has dual exhaust coming out the back.........those along with a Flowmaster muffler.........it has a pretty nice "growl" when going down the highway. ;):D

Roger Chandler
02-29-2012, 9:19 PM
As others have said. The BF will crack and move a lot. Dry with care.

I hear you John..........I have plenty of anchorseal on hand, and will certainly coat the ends well!

Steve Schlumpf
02-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Good looking truck Roger! If you are looking for ideas on the Pear... I would go with vases!

Kevin W Johnson
02-29-2012, 11:52 PM
A subtle, yet clear gloat on the beautiful restoration job, Roger! Just enough turning information to keep it legit.;) I have a very similar 2004 wood hauler that is silver in color. The only drawback is the V8 gets about 15 mpg on a good day with a tail wind.

No help on the pear - I have some in the barn that I will turn someday.

Sounds like my truck, and its not even a V8.....

Paul Gallian
02-29-2012, 11:55 PM
If you are looking for ideas on the Pear. I would use it for firewood -- not really good for that either..

Kevin W Johnson
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
These are two of about 10 pieces [new to me] of Bradford pear [some pieces are larger than these two] I got from a neighbor who is also a turner [thanks Bruce!] and they are sitting on my newly refurbished wood hauler...........which I just got the restoration completed yesterday.

This wood hauler is 15 years old and runs and looks new, [inside and out] and has a newly sprayed in bed liner. Some of the Bradford pear pieces are larger than these two..........asking suggestions on what your ideas are on forms from these...........I was thinking a vase or two and perhaps some lidded boxes.........what say you?

We just had thunderstorms roll through so everything is wet, and perhaps does not show everything in the best light but you get the idea............

All that work, and you left it out in the rain? :eek:

Roger Chandler
03-01-2012, 4:22 PM
All that work, and you left it out in the rain? :eek:

Kevin.......are you talking about the truck or the Bradford Pear? :confused::D

Kevin W Johnson
03-01-2012, 6:09 PM
The truck.... that poor truck in the rain after all that work....:p

Roger Chandler
03-01-2012, 7:19 PM
The truck.... that poor truck in the rain after all that work....:p

Unfortunately Kevin, I don't have a garage......:(

Bill Wyko
03-01-2012, 7:23 PM
I'm a Dodge guy myself. Nice redo on the truck. As for the wood, try a goblet possibly with a long thin stem.

Roger Chandler
03-01-2012, 7:26 PM
I'm a Dodge guy myself. Nice redo on the truck. As for the wood, try a goblet possibly with a long thin stem.

I had not thought of that one Bill..........I'll kick that idea around for a while.......thanks!

Kevin W Johnson
03-01-2012, 9:00 PM
Unfortunately Kevin, I don't have a garage......:(

Sadly, nor do I. Just ribbin' ya a little is all.....:D

I thought when you rebuilt a Dodge, that's when it got a Ford emblem? :D:D:D

Kevin W Johnson
03-01-2012, 9:05 PM
I had not thought of that one Bill..........I'll kick that idea around for a while.......thanks!

I have have some BP that came out of my yard when I had to cut one down due to breakage. I've had it a while now, and I have cut a couple pieces open on different occasions hoping to find some nice color or grain or something. But nope, nothing special at all.

Will BP spalt or anything of the sort?

Roger Chandler
03-01-2012, 9:07 PM
Sadly, nor do I. Just ribbin' ya a little is all.....:D

I thought when you rebuilt a Dodge, that's when it got a Ford emblem? :D:D:D

I almost traded last fall for a new Ford F-150.......decided I just did not want to be in debt .........decided to repaint the wood hauler.......it really runs like new......... just looked terrible because the paint failed. I really like the body style of the F-150 the best of all the pickups on the road at present.

Kevin W Johnson
03-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I almost traded last fall for a new Ford F-150.......decided I just did not want to be in debt .........decided to repaint the wood hauler.......it really runs like new......... just looked terrible because the paint failed. I really like the body style of the F-150 the best of all the pickups on the road at present.

I'll be glad when my truck is paid off. I hope to have another one of those very long spells without a vehicle payment again.

Thomas Canfield
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
I don't talk Dodge so will not comment there. On the Bradford Pear, the pieces look to be under 6"D and likely limb or not the main trunk. If the pith is out of center, then a goblet or vase hollow form should work fairly well turning with the pith out of center to provide strength in the stem and also reduce chance of cracking. Turning green will have some distortion so keep that in mind. You can always try one piece turned green to finish and see fairly fast how much distortion you will have. I think you will be surprised and pleased with how the wood turns and finishes if this is first time.