PDA

View Full Version : I met the former leader of the free world today

John Shuk
03-22-2005, 7:52 PM
I was working in Chappaqua, NY today and my buddy and I stopped into Starbucks for an afternoon coffee. We got on the short line and there was a guy talking to the guy at the counter even after he had his coffee. Me being a wiseguy I said to my jokingly to my partner " Ok pal enough chit chat now let's go I want my coffee". Well who turned around and said "Hi how you doing?" but Bill Clinton. I was a little shocked and just said how ya feeling? He said fine and that was that. Only I could manage to tick off the former Most powerful man in the world with a stupid comment to a friend. I don't know if he really heard me or not but it makes for a good story. I've never been a big fan of his but it's sort of cool anyway. He shmoozed a bit with the folks and then got in the Suburban and left for home.
The End

John Shuk
03-22-2005, 7:53 PM
I hope this doesn't prompt any political statements which are a violation of the TOS. Just wanted to share a story.

Jim Becker
03-22-2005, 8:14 PM
It's nice when you can "run into" someone noteworthy. They don't have to be your favorite; the experience is still worthwhile. There are a great many people...ok, politicians...that I don't particularly like or admire. But I still wouldn't turn down the opportunity to meet and speak with them. I might even learn something I didn't know about them--which could either be good or scary! And if it were in Starbucks? So much the better!! Latté is our friend....;)

Matt Meiser
03-22-2005, 9:19 PM
While he was pres. he stopped into one of our local McDonalds (shocking) and they made everyone get of of line so he could walk right up to the counter. Guess it doesn't work the same after you are out of office.

Jerry Olexa
03-22-2005, 9:37 PM
He's really used to Monica getting his coffee .:)

Rob Littleton
03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
I once met and shook hands with Margaret Thatcher while I was strolling along Downing Street.

Had to count my fingers afterwards but she was alright....

Jeff Sudmeier
03-23-2005, 8:27 AM
I was able to meet and see John Kerry speak during this years elections. As you said, I didn't agree with everything he said, but it is neat to meet the influential persons of this world!

David Wilson
03-23-2005, 8:44 AM
When I was in the Navy stationed at NAF Andrews I got to watch Gerald Ford fall down the steps to Air Fource One.

Darren Ford
03-23-2005, 12:41 PM
That is hilarious Dave! :D

John Shuk
03-23-2005, 4:32 PM
Well Starbuck's is at least healthier than Mcdonalds!

Tom Saurer
03-23-2005, 4:42 PM
This isn't along the line of a president, but being part of the Star Wars generation, I once ran into James Earl Jones. I really wanted him to say "Luke, I am your father.".

John Shuk
03-23-2005, 8:42 PM
James earl Jones lives in my area. I used to work at a dive shop and he came in and bought a couple of wetsuits for working in his duck pond putting up duck houses that he built. Very nice guy. He is sort of a co-worker as well since we both work for Verizon. I bet he gets paid a little better though!

Bill Arnold
03-24-2005, 7:05 AM
Back about 1993, when I was still in engineering management in cable television in Houston, TX, I went to many of the events put on by the cable networks and local stations. George Foreman lives in Houston and was the 'entertainment' at a couple of HBO events. My wife and I have a photo with him. He's really a gentle, nice guy. We also met Debbie Reynolds at one event. Very lovely lady.

The event that will always be the tops was an exclusive sit-down dinner with Charlton Heston. There were about 20 invited guests, including my wife and me. He was on a multi-city tour with the A&E network publicizing a series of biblical programs he had done for the network. There was the usual dinner talk, etc., but the highlight was when my wife got the gumption to speak up and ask him about one of his lesser-known movies, "Soylent Green". For the next few minutes, it was as if they were the only people in the room. "Chuck", as he introduced himself to each of us individually following dinner, is a true gentleman.

Jerry Olexa
03-24-2005, 10:38 AM
Once while standing in line @ the airport in Columbus, Ohio I noticed a gray haired gentleman standing in line ahead of me. We chatted a few minutes and then I recognized Woody Hayes, legendary coach of the OSU buckeyes! When working @ Borden , we sponsored the Cracker Jack Old Timers game and I spent time and had dinner with Warren Spahn, Brooks Robinson and Ray Fosse several times ! I once picked up D. Vivac (then center for LA Lakers) at LAX and took him (and his agent ) to our trade show. I once walked a fairway with Arnold Palmer in Ft Wayne, Indiana. He was doing an exhibition on a new course and I was allowed to walk to the green w him after he hit his tee shot. A real Gentleman! Had lunch w J. Bouton, author of B---s once @ trade show. When I worked in New England, my company sponsored a cocktail party for the Celtics and I met J. Havelieck, D. Cowens,S. Sanders, etc etc. I've talked w M. Singletary of the Bears who resides here in Chicago area. Mostly sports related and signs of a misspent youth and my increasing age!?:) No presidential contacts!

Raymond Overman
03-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Here is a picture of me and the legendary Ted Williams on top of Grandfather Mountain in western NC. I was four at the time and much more interested in the bat than Mr. Williams.

I sent the story in to a contest before he passed away and he sent me a personalized autographed poster. It's even got the green diamond seal and authentication papers. It's a shame what his son has done to him.

Michael Perata
03-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Raymond
That picture brought back a bunch of memories.
My father grew up with Dom & Joe diMaggio in San Francisco and played semi-pro baseball in the '30s with them. I remember being at Joe's house in the Marina area of San Francisco when I was about 4 and we played catch together for about 15 minutes.

Jerry Olexa
03-24-2005, 3:15 PM
Ted Willia ms has always been one of my alltime HEROES. He went in the war in his prime for 3 years ans served as a pilot. Later, his last year, at age 40 he hit .406 and for a mediocre salary of about $100,00. Not like today's greedy "heroes:.He has some warts but a GREAT hitter!!

Raymond Overman
03-24-2005, 10:48 PM
Yeah, Boston thought he was arrogant for not tipping his hat but he sure was nice to me and my family when I met him. Again, I think it's really sad what his son did to him and the publicity it's gotten him. Mr. Williams was a lot more dignified than that.