PDA

View Full Version : My Cover Photo on WOW

John Altberg
02-29-2012, 8:56 AM
Sorry to toot my own horn, but wanted to share this with you all. I am not a full-fledged "Creeker", as I don't post a lot, but I do read this forum daily for all of the good info., here. I think I shared this piece before, but this is a better photo of it that I did recently.

Chestnut Burl, 8x4, finished with tung oil

C&C welcomed

John

Alan Trout
02-29-2012, 9:06 AM
John,

Congratulations I saw that yesterday. That is a beautiful bowl.

Alan

Steve Vaughan
02-29-2012, 9:15 AM
Yup, what Alan said. Just beautiful all around.

David E Keller
02-29-2012, 9:25 AM
Nicely done! I don't visit WoW all that often, so I'm glad you posted here. Congrats on some well-deserved kudos!

Marty Eargle
02-29-2012, 9:52 AM
Congrats! That is certainly a bowl deserving recognition. The form is simple but masterfully done. Also, love that wood. I wish I had more opportunities to turn chestnut than I do...it's such a warm and unique wood.

Mike Cruz
02-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Nuttin' wrong with a little horn tootin'. Congrats. That wood is fabulous, and the bowl is pretty. You should be proud.

kevin nee
02-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Beautiful piece. Is that American Chestnut or Horse Chestnut?

Scott Hackler
02-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Congrats on the honor. That is a great bowl. I would encourage you to participate more often here on the Creek!

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Congrats, John, and well deserved!

Beautiful piece. Is that American Chestnut or Horse Chestnut?More likely Chinese Chestnut. There is precious little American Chestnut left, and "horse chestnut" most often refers to Ohio or American Buckeye. But, I should best let John respond to that!

John Altberg
02-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Beautiful piece. Is that American Chestnut or Horse Chestnut?

Congrats, John, and well deserved!
More likely Chinese Chestnut. There is precious little American Chestnut left, and "horse chestnut" most often refers to Ohio or American Buckeye. But, I should best let John respond to that!

Kevin,

I was asked about this on WOW and, quite frankly, do not know. John, any tips on how to differentiate? I do know that this particular tree came from an older part of town (developed in the 20's and 30's) and that it was huge! The trunk was a good four to five feet in diameter.

John

Brian Kent
02-29-2012, 11:42 AM
John, I like it very much. And I don't know what it is about this that looks so right. Can you describe anything about this that is WHY it works? What form elements are you shooting for?

Baxter Smith
02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Congrats John! A very nice shape with a very nice piece of wood!

John Keeton
02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Kevin,

I was asked about this on WOW and, quite frankly, do not know. John, any tips on how to differentiate? I do know that this particular tree came from an older part of town (developed in the 20's and 30's) and that it was huge! The trunk was a good four to five feet in diameter.

JohnGiven that history, it sounds more like American Chestnut. The blight was in the early 1900's and most of the trees were lost by the 40's. There are a few isolated stands and individual trees that remain and seem to be blight resistant. They were used to cross with the Chinese Chestnut to produce a blight resistant strain for restorative purposes.

I have some old American Chestnut from barn beams, but I certainly do not feel qualified to distinguish one from the other.

Bernie Weishapl
02-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Congrats on a beautiful piece.

Jamie Donaldson
02-29-2012, 2:01 PM
I don't often see Chinese Chestnut that size, and freshly cut it usually has a yellowish tint, so I would bet this is the old American variety.