PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever signed up for Laser U with Laserbits ?

Mike Galea
02-29-2012, 7:54 AM
I was wondering if anyone had any feedback good/bad on the Laser University through Laserbits. I am new to Laser Engraving and it looks to offer a lot of tutorials and info on all sorts of different aspects of laser engraving.

Ernie Balch
02-29-2012, 9:11 AM
I wasted my money there. They have no knowledge of Chinese lasers at all, so most of what they tell you does not apply or is dead wrong. When I complained I got one email response then nothing.

If you have universal or epilog and are a complete beginner it might be worth while. If you already know Corel Draw then there is almost nothing left interesting in the course.

Mike Fruciano
02-29-2012, 10:24 AM
We offered the previous poster a refund, extended the LaserU subscription at no charge and he asked us not to contact him anymore.

Our settings calculator now supports Glass Tube Lasers as well as Trotec, GCC, Epilog, ULS and others. Support of chinese lasers has been challenging as the distributors given us access to these systems for testing and each chinese manufacturer is different. We have tried in vain to contact many of the manufactures of chinese systems with very little response. We would be happy to develop content specific to a system.

To my knowledge there is no web base support specific to chinese lasers but all of the laser processes are identical to what is presented on Laser University. Last week we presented a Laser Clinic in Dallas and several folks had chinese laser systems. They all commented about how much the learned about laser engraving, Corel Draw, Photo Engraving and how to run a laser business. One user had been doing photos for years and learned a new process in Photo Paint for knocking out backgrounds. For many learning a few things is worth the price of attending a Laser Clinic or subscribing to Laser University.

I am always learning about software, materials and processes and this is the information that we present in our Clinics and in LaserU.

Joe Hillmann
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Mike, does laser U cover YAG's at all or is it just CO2's?

Ernie Balch
02-29-2012, 1:33 PM
We offered the previous poster a refund, extended the LaserU subscription at no charge and he asked us not to contact him anymore.

Sorry Mike, You must have me confused with someone else. I sent emails a couple of times and never was offered any refund. The extended subscription offer was a standard offer with a discount if I continued to pay.

I specifically stated that I was trying to offer constructive feedback and not asking for a refund. I would have helped you correct the specifics related to Rabbit lasers but could not get any dialog going. I suggested that you offer a disclaimer for owners of Chinese lasers but was told that "it was not necessary"

The information given is not "University level" it is more like "grade school level" As an engineer I was expecting real technical information for the money, after all you are wearing a white lab coat. LOL

Larry Bratton
02-29-2012, 7:47 PM
Well I'm not an engineer. I signed up for the Laser University program in the interim period while waiting for my Epilog back 3 years or so. As a total novice to the laser, but not to Corel or CNC machines I did find that the $100 or so I spent was helpful. I was already a member of this forum and based a lot of my decision on the purchase from what I learned here. Admittedly most of the things I learned with LU were basic but that was what I was trying to do. So, I guess the answer is -what is your overall objective, to gain basic knowledge or become a professional.

Vicki Rivrud
02-29-2012, 10:31 PM
IMHO - this is one of the best investments you can make to not only learn the fundamentals but also techniques both basic and advanced. There is also an extensive library on Corel which I found most informative, not knowing Corel at all.

The folks at Laserbits are so friendly & helpful, which is a huge benefit for those of us using Chinese lasers, with NO Support. They might not know our Chinese lasers however IMHO, file prep is paramount, technique & understanding even before you hit the laser.

My hats off to them and I highly recommend LaserU!

Happy lasering,
Vicki Rivrud
JR Laser Solutions

Jason Jenkins 2
03-24-2012, 11:59 PM
I found that LaserU is helpful only if you have no technical skills or computer skills. I sighed up several years ago hoping there would be info on engraving and color filling granite. I found that laserU only covers products laserbits caries. I sighed up recently again hoping they would have new content and better quality videos, to my surprise they had only updated their corel tutorials after 3 years. It was a big disappointment to subscribe a second time after several years.