PDA

View Full Version : My first tool cabinet - body completed

Matthew N. Masail
02-29-2012, 7:17 AM
I wanted to thank you guy's for the support, it helped my get started with confidence. I decided to not dado in the partition, as I'm not sure where I want it.
I went with 18mm "wall cover, tongue and groove" pine boards instead of MDF for the back to keep the weight down. all rabbet, dodo, screws and glue construction. 225668

I'm off to start to doors (-:

Chris Griggs
02-29-2012, 7:47 AM
Looking good Matthew! I think you made a good choice on skipping the MDF.

Mike Holbrook
02-29-2012, 8:46 AM
Nice! I bought plywood, on sale, to make cabinets with, back before I went through the hand tool Renaissance. I thought I was being very discerning at the time. Now I wish I had bought poplar and maybe some of the tongue & groove pine like you did.

Anxious to see the finished cabinet as I am about to build a bunch myslef. I get to do a little today as I am waiting on the plumber to rough in for my building project.

Matthew N. Masail
02-29-2012, 9:18 AM
now you made me want to go faster so you can see it on time... but if this helps - the back looks so much better than the front, it's hard to notice how much the MDF sucks until you see real wood. without the pine edging this cabinet would be sooo ugly. pine is really beautiful wood and planes like butter, I confess I haven't even unpacked my water stones yet... been using the Veritas tools as they came, which is impressive btw. but this wood dents if you just look at it wrong, and I'm not even trying to be really careful. I wanted to get started on the doors today but it's raining and my MDF cutting station is outside... maybe use the tongue & groove pine for the doors too? ?? ? ? ? ? would that be strong enough? it would look amazing... I’m kind of talking myself into it here... lol what cabinets are you planning to make?

Mike Holbrook
02-29-2012, 9:53 AM
Matthew, I am transitioning from building/construction projects to cabinet and work bench projects. Unfortunately I have a 40 x 12 room I am working on now that limits my cabinet... time. I built a building for my dog club business, finished a basement, built some out buildings...Now I want some cabinets to put in my home, business & shop.

I think tongue & groove board doors would look cool. If you make your doors with frame & panel construction techniques you will get valuable practice with basic joinery techniques. The tongue & groove boards could be your panels and you could get SYP (southern yellow pine) trim boards to make your rails & stiles with. You can get both the tongue & groove boards & 1x3 SYP trim boards at your local borg. I may do this myself. The resulting doors should have a traditional feel that would work well in my reproduction of a Dutch Colonial home.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Matthew N. Masail
02-29-2012, 10:07 AM
I already bought 10cmx2cm pine boards for the frame... the only question is to dado in MDF or pine... I think I'll do pine. and wait with the doors until the red wine wares off.... (-:

Thanks and I'll definitely show the progress.